Cannot load limited user profile RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have recently run into an error where when a user attempts to login using a Limited Account they are receiving profile errors.  I read a previous post regarding this issue and have run into a road block and am turning to the community for assistance.  First lets get the working environment out of the way.

Various Gateway machines.  Primarily Profile 4's and 5's.
    All machines were built using the same base image, only being modified for hardware.
    The image was setup on a machine, sysprep'ed and the duplicated using a hardware disk duplicator.
    There are two active accounts on the machine, Administrator (Administrator) and User (Limited)
    Using the last version of the Shared Computer Toolkit, SteadyState wasn't an option for us.
    Using the latest versions of Deep Freeze, Symantec AV, and Time Limit Manager 3.5.1 (TLM).
    UPHClean is installed on each machine, required by MSCTK

Randomly on machine after a user enters a PIN in order to access the machine, using TLM, they are presented with the Welcome screen and prompted to click on the User icon to login to Windows.  When they click the user image they are given an error stating that Windows couldn't copy a file.  The click ok and then receive an error that Windows couldn't load their profile.  Then they are presented with the Welcome screen screen again and are unable to login.  If the machine is restarted then the user is able to access the machine normally.  This is because the Deep Freeze software returns to its previous state.

I have one machine that is in this state and in checking the event viewer here are the errors that are recorded:

Source: UPHClean, Event ID: 1101
    User profile hive {ComputerName}\User (S-1-5-21-3765879916-1945901903-2751971945-1006) unloaded.

-----

Source: Userenv, Event ID: 1509
    Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\User.orig\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG to location C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

-----

Source: Userenv, Event ID: 1500
    Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The operation completed successfully.

-----
    The pair of Userenv errors appear a total of three times.  I would imagine that is the number of times the user attempted to log into the machine.

Earlier this week I observed this message on a machine that was attempting to copy a Temporary Internet File from the .orig to the temporary profile location.  On those machines I went to the orig profile and cleared the cache, history and cookies.  But now on a separate machine I am seeing the above message so I know that it isn't limited to the cache folder.

Additionally in my research I found the following registry key that will completely delete the cached copy of a roaming profile when that profile is logged off:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
    "DeleteRoamingCache"=dword:00000001

However yesterday I ran into a machine that had this flag already set but was still encountering the error message.  Again relating to the cache folder.  I found this registry key to attempt to resolve the issue with the cache folder but I am afraid that that won't resolve the issue if the file being copied is now in a different location.

[HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]
    "Persistent"=dword:00000000

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel.  I really look forward to hearing someones feedback on what exactly can be causing this issue and what it might take to get it resolved.

Thanks again for your time!!

Elvis Rowe, A+, Network+, Security+, MCDST, MCSE
    Friday, October 5, 2007 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Elvis,

Please understand that this forum mainly focus on SteadyState related issues. The previous versions are not supported. I suggest that you post to the Shared Computer Toolkit public newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.sharedaccess

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Based on the error message, I have listed some suggestions for your reference:

Suggestion 1: Check the permission privilege on UsrClass.dat.LOG. You can compare it with another one which is from a computer that has no logon problem.

Suggestion 2: Run some tools such as Process Explorer or Unlocker to check if the file has been used or locked by some programs.

Process Explorer v11.02

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processexplorer.mspx

Unlocker 1.8.5

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Suggestion 3: Perform a Clean Boot to disable third party programs and services.

Suggestion 4: Create a new user to test.

Best Regards,

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:30 AM