none
Problem with decryption / unlock Bitlocker external hard drive with correct password RRS feed

• Question

• I have external hard drive 2 TB with Bitlocker. I began decrypting, but I stop it on 4,2%. Later I safely disconnect it from system. When I connect it next time to the port and I tried to unlock with correct passport, the system information was, that password is not correct. How can I repair it, unlock or decrypt if it not working? I just used manage-bde -status command. I don't have recovery key.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>manage-bde -status
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.18362
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Disk volumes that can be protected with
    BitLocker Drive Encryption:
    Volume E: [Label Unknown]
    [Data Volume]

Size: Unknown GB
    BitLocker Version: 2.0
    Conversion Status: Unknown
    Percentage Encrypted: Unknown%
    Encryption Method: AES 256
    Protection Status: Unknown
    Lock Status: Locked
    Identification Field: Unknown
    Automatic Unlock: Disabled
    Key Protectors:
    Password
    Numerical Password

Monday, January 27, 2020 3:45 PM

All replies

• The password is just as good as the recovery key. If it does not work, then the disk is corrupted. In that case, you need your backup now. Only forensic data experts can restore the already-decrypted parts (and will demand a lot of money to do so).
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:02 PM
  • But why is corrupted? I stopped decrypting correctly and I remove it safely. It is any chance to repair unlocking device without data experts?
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:12 PM
  • That cannot be answered. Pausing decryption is a supported procedure, as is shutting down a system while it's being decrypted. Pausing (stopping?) decryption and then ejecting a drive is, well, rarely done, maybe it's not possible and should have issued a warning. However, if the password does not work, there's nothing you can do. You could try 3rd party tools, but if the data is really important but you have no backup, I would recommend to ask forensic experts.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:21 PM