How to Write Installers for App-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I don't know much about App-V so please excuse my question if it seems that the answer is obvious.  I am an InstallShield developer and would like to know if you need to do anything special to write installers for applications to run in an App-V environment?  Of course Installshield would love to sell me their Virtualization Pack for InstallShield 2010 which includes support for App-V and has a wizard for developing installers for App-V.  I am not sure whether or not I actually need this virtualization pack in order to be able to author installers for the App-V environment?  Any help would be appreciated!

Tim
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:10 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback Znack.  I do appreciate it as the cost of the Virtualization Package is not cheap for a small independent developer like me.

Take care,

Tim
    • Marked as answer by TimStspry Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:32 AM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:32 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback Znack.  I do appreciate it as the cost of the Virtualization Package is not cheap for a small independent developer like me.

Take care,

Tim
    • Marked as answer by TimStspry Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:32 AM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:32 AM
  • Hello again,

This might actually suite you fairly good;
    http://www.gridmetric.com/products/libv.html

/znack
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Tim,

Let me first clear out some terminology related confusion here ;-) As I understand from your post, you want to author an virtual application package instead/addition to doing MSI installer for your own application, right?

With App-V, you are not creating an installer but rather you could think App-V package as an "end image" of the application in the virtual format, something you get as an result of installation in traditional world. So keeping that in mind, what you are looking for is generate your App-V package out of your app like you would for MSI generation.

Traditionally, this is done with the Microsoft's Sequencer, but it's always involves a manual process (you monitor the installation and Sequencer wraps up the results as App-V package).

Until recently, there really hasn't been any other way. But as you stated, InstallShield (or Admin Studio) now have App-V related add-ons to their products. Other option, as znack kindly remarked, is to use SFT Encoder, developed by me and sold through my company. As is the Lib-V product he also mentions, but that's meant for companies/developers who wants programmatic access to App-V package's SFT files themselves (containers holding all the package's data and virtual environment configuration); for instance if you write application that itself needs to process App-V packages. In your case, SFT Encoder is the correct choice (you can see the current feature list here: http://www.gridmetric.com/products/sftencoder_features.html) as it's meant for authoring new packages (as well as updating existing ones) from the command-line or via templating and unattended if needed, depending on the version. It's not monitoring tool like App-V's own Sequencer tool, but rather based on building the package based on you telling what to put in and where.

And the cost is very reasonable for small developers too. ;-) I'm sure that InstallFree's product is nice too, but haven't used it myself.

/Kalle

btw, sorry for the blatant advertising but I wanted to explain how things are at the moment vis-à-vis original package authoring.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Thanks Kalle, I appreciate the clarification and the information.  I will check out your website and products.

Tim
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:20 PM