Primary/Secondary site in very remote location RRS feed

• Question

• Wanted some advice on a SCCM 2012 R2 hierarchy I am working on.

We have 1 CAS and 1 PRI at head office (~500 clients).

4 Sites at the end of satellite links (384k ~1200ms latency) with roughly 50-100 clients, these links cost money for data and tend to go offline for anything up to 3-4 days.

Site accessibility is an issue, its a 2-3 week, once a year ship voyage (leaving in 5 weeks).

The plan was to put 4x Primaries at each site, I ran into an issue syncing the global data from the CAS, its 2.8GB which is too much.

If I put in secondaries, from what I understand this will limit the data to global_proxy data?

With both I assume I have to send down a copy of the SUSDB and prepackaged DP files

Im having a hard time finding out what the data over time will be in the other direction. From PRI to CAS how much data is sent -vs- from SEC or Clients to PRI how much data is sent.

Am I missing some other limitation about secondaries that will mean I have to move more data?

Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:24 AM

All replies

• 1 CAS and only 1 primary for only 500 clients? Why aren't you using just a standalone primary site?
    Using primaries (or secondaries) won't help at all (they will perform a full sync of all DRS data if it was unsuccessfull for x days). You might consider using 3rd party tools (e.g. 1E Nomad or Adaptive OneSite) for such scenarios.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:49 AM
  • It was based on the assumption that the techs at the sites required independent management of clients and local administration (due to bandwidth limitations). This is no longer the case (12 months after implementation)

The other, possibly mistaken, factor was the clients sending data back to the primary and the increased load this would have over time. I havent got the numbers but it appears from the database tables that in production CAS to PRI data transfers are larger than PRI to SEC transfers.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:09 AM