none
Timesheet Managers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm new to Project Online - I have managed to successfully import local projects to enterpirse projects using project pro for O365. I have also successfully imported my resources in to the enterprise resource center also. I am now looking at configuring timesheets and setting up who will approve these for our project members.

Looking online I see that we can update who the timesheet managers are by going to PWA Settings - Under "Time and Task Management" select "Timesheet Managers".

However when I select add I only see my account under the list of resources - when I try to search for any other users to add as a timesheet manager no one is returned.

I can confirm the person I am trying to add is listed in the resource center and they have permission to PWA through the PWA admin group. On the licensing side I can confirm they have a project online with project pro for O365 license assigned to their user account in the O365 active users list.

Can somebody please give me some pointers on what I need to do here, or where perhaps I've gone wrong - I'm not finding much online around this issue.

Many thanks

Steve

Friday, August 5, 2016 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The timesheet manager should have the category "Approve Timesheets" (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197622.aspx).

You can see your name as I suppose you are kind of admin, with many rights :)

Ss ensure the user is in a group which have this category assigned.

Jeremy

Monday, August 8, 2016 11:45 AM
  • The timesheet managers will need the "approve timesheets" permission (not category) as Jeremy says. That usually comes when you give someone the group "Team Leads".

However, we didn't like how much of project online that group and associated categories opened up, so we created a new group called "supervisors", granted them "my direct reports" category which we allowed a few settings, notably for you, "adjust timesheet" and "approve timesheet". We also gave:

• open project
    • view project schedule in project web app
    • view project site
    • view project summary in project center
    • manage resource delegates
    • view resource assignments in assignment views

And in global permissions we gave:

• can be delegate
    • manage my resource delegates
    • view business intelligence link
    • view resource center.

This was because we wanted them to have visibility into their staff, the projects their staff are a part of, and organization wide reports along with being able to setup and use delegations for their own staff.

I think, but cannot remember, if the My Direct Reports category existed by default, but if it wasn't, you'd create it and check the boxes for

• A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS
    • They are descendants of the USer via RBS
    • They are direct descendants of the User via RBS

However... none of that explains why you as an admin wouldn't be able to pick them under "add manager" within "Timesheet Managers" from the PWA Settings page. Are the people you're trying to pick at least in the default "team members" group? I don't know if there's a correlation there, but I can say that it appears I can select every resource that's attached to a user account.

Ian

• Proposed as answer by Ian Bruckner Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:49 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:39 PM