Video refresh problems with remote tools RRS feed

• Question

• On some of our systems (app. 1 in 30), when we launch a Remote Control session, the session does not paint the screen properly. Either, as you move the mouse around, the remote PCs background appears in small blocks under the mouse. Or as you move the mouse, the screen covers with small black blocks.

I've found someone else with the issue and they mention a KB959562, but I also cannot find it in English.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrgeneral/thread/456f51b1-2e1b-4a60-8f40-3dd57c6637ba

Has anyone else seen this or found a fix? Do we know what this KB is?

We are running CM2007R2. And this happens remoting XP systems (Dell and HP) from XP, Vista, or 2K3.

Thank you
    Matt
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:55 PM

Answers

• After months of talking to Microsoft, we were sent this.

I understand that you are hitting a bug in our product specific to Remote Tools in a multi-monitor configuration. The bug lies in some external RDP code that we obtained from the Windows group but included in our own binaries. While the Windows group continues to maintain the RDP code in Windows itself, the SCCM team is not going to merge those updates into the current release of the product. The reasons primarily surround the risk involved, the cost of in-depth testing for a fix to an uncommon problem and the simple work-around to this specific issue. In order to avoid this problem, the primary monitor must be the left-most and upper-most screen in the display matrix. While this may not be desirable, it is the only work-around for the problem which may be fixed in the next major release of SCCM. Please let me know if you have any outstanding questions but understand that this is our final stance on this confirmed issue.

Which means: We have given up on the problem. We will not be fixing it.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can't find the hotfix you referring to as well, I thought it was part of SP3 for Windows XP. Try multiple scenario's with different resolution and color settings when the session starts. It might improve the performance.
    Please mark posts as Answered if appropriate.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Yeh, we've tried all the normal stuff. Taking them down to 1024 x 768, disabling all monitors but 1, reinstalling drivers, etc. We see it most often on multi-monitor systems, but not exclusively.

I think I'm going to open a ticket w/MS and see what they say...

Monday, June 1, 2009 12:51 PM
  • That would be the next course of action, CSS. Then report back the resolution so we all know the fix.
    Wally Mead
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Any update on this Matt? Did you ever contact CSS to see if they could help?

Wally Mead
    Monday, July 6, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Yes I did open a Premier ticket. We had to sort thru some issues with our support contract first. At the moment it looks like the affected systems have multi-monitor setups or dual head cards(even if there is only 1 video port).

I'm hoping for an answer this week.

Matt
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:20 PM
  • This is a known issue now. The product team is working on it, and there is no fix at this time. The workaround is to uninstall the mirror driver (ConfigMgr Remote Control Driver) on the affected machines.
    • Marked as answer by MGehrls Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:05 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MGehrls Friday, July 10, 2009 5:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:04 PM
  • I logged this with Premier support back in March this year. As mentioned above, KB959562 was provided to us with some additional steps.

Put simply, each workstation needed the following to resolve this issue:
    1. Apply KB959562 and restart system (Premier support provided KB959562 to us, not sure if it can be freely downloaded?)
    2. In the Display Properties config screen, the secondary display must be on the right side of the primary display (Not always practical for users!)
    3. The primary and secondary displays must be aligned on the same horizontal plane. (EG: The two boxes that indicate each monitor should be aligned so that the bottom of each monitor box is level)

I think from memory that even just applying steps #2 and #3 improves performance but applying KB959562 assists further in some configs/circumstances. This is all a little cumbersome but thought it was worth sharing with you all.

Hope it helps!

Glenn
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Can you tell me exactly what support told you to uninstall? As far as I know, there is no supported way to "uninstall the mirror driver", so want to see what they told you to do.
    Wally Mead
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:02 PM
  • They told me to uninstall the "ConfigMgr Remote Control Driver" under Display adapters in Device Manager. I can still remote, but sometimes the display is a little slow.

I was able to get KB959562 from them, but on the 2 systems I tested it on, it did not fix the issue. Further testing will be done later today.

Matt
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:29 PM
  • We're experiencing the exact same thing as MGehrls on our recent SCCM 2007 rollout. An official fix soon would be *greatly* appreciated.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Have you tried to contact CSS to see if they give you the same answer as Glenn?
    Wally Mead
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:34 PM
  • We will contact CSS in the next few days and reply with any info they give us. Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:14 PM
  • KB959562 did not solve the issue. We tried everything that Glenn mentioned but no luck. The only way to view some of our workstations is to remove the remote control driver...

Matt
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:31 AM
  • So after several emails/calls with a Microsoft Support Engineer, they responded with this.

"I wanted to update you on the status of your issue regarding the problem you are experiencing when using remote tools to control machines with dual monitors. I want to mention here that this is a known issue that is still being investigated. This seems to be a Bug(Bug ID: 243511). The KB959562 addresses a Windows XP OS GDI+ issue and it only impacts the user which has Multi-monitor installed.

Unfortunately after applying this Hot fix KB959562, the user logged on will encounter this problem again if the 2nd monitor isn’t properly aligned with 1st monitor, the issue has been confirmed by windows product team and the workaround is keep the 2nd monitor aligned with 1st one.

According to the feedback from the product team, we don’t have scheduled timeline for this fix at this time."

So it looks like they have basically settled on this patch and compromise of monitor positioning. I have replied saying we would like a patch to fix all of these issues, because that is unacceptable.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Hi Glenn

I've got the same issue with ATI display cards but not with Nvidia.
    Installed SP3, the hotfix (KB959562-x86-ENU), restarted, set monitors with no luck.
    I've upgraded the ATI drivers but that didnt help either.

If it's XP OS GDI+ issue why does it work fine with Nvidia ?

Glenn which display card are you using ?

G-Man8
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:33 AM
  • We still have an active case open with Microsoft on this... So far we haven't gotten much info.  Will post if we receive a fix.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:14 PM
  • After months of talking to Microsoft, we were sent this.

I understand that you are hitting a bug in our product specific to Remote Tools in a multi-monitor configuration. The bug lies in some external RDP code that we obtained from the Windows group but included in our own binaries. While the Windows group continues to maintain the RDP code in Windows itself, the SCCM team is not going to merge those updates into the current release of the product. The reasons primarily surround the risk involved, the cost of in-depth testing for a fix to an uncommon problem and the simple work-around to this specific issue. In order to avoid this problem, the primary monitor must be the left-most and upper-most screen in the display matrix. While this may not be desirable, it is the only work-around for the problem which may be fixed in the next major release of SCCM. Please let me know if you have any outstanding questions but understand that this is our final stance on this confirmed issue.

Which means: We have given up on the problem. We will not be fixing it.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Sounds like you have your answer then. Not what you wanted, but it is answered, so I'll mark it that way for you (you should really mark the posts as answered when you get your answer so we all know :-)

Wally Mead
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:38 AM