locked
App-V Reporting - No Usage Information RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All,

    I've spent a while researching this now and haven't been able to find any references to the issue I'm experiencing, which probably means I'm doing something stupid...

    I have recently set up a virtualised App-V solution, two App-V 4.5 SP2 management servers, one SQL 2008 R2 SQL server, all servers are running Server 2008 R2 SP1, all clients are 4.6 SP1. I'm doing some basic load balancing using DNS round robin, clients connect to an alias for which there are two resource records in DNS. Certs are installed and RTSPS over TCP 322 is all working nicely.

    The solution as a whole works great, apart from reporting. When I try and run any reports I get "No application was used during this reporting period" or a response to that effect depending on the type of report I’m trying to run, essentially i get the impression that no metrics have been collected to report on.

    Hopefully I'm just doing something stupid and this is a quick fix, if not please let me know what logs you need to see and I'll post them (I've checked App-V client and server logs and can't see anything obvious).

    Your help is much appreciated!

    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:28 PM

Answers

  • Hi both,

    Thanks for the replies, it was just me being stupid. I assumed that because I am only using one server group I didn't need to assign the applications to a server group, so I left them set to <none>. You don't get the reporting information unless the applications are assigned to a server group, so the behaviour I was seeing was resolved by setting the apps to the default server group.

     

    • Marked as answer by TickTarry37 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:21 AM

All replies

  • Just to add to this, I can query the application usage table directly, the information is there, it's just not being returned in the report!
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hello,

    Usually it takes a day for the data to show-up - I think there are some scheduled jobs to run in the background during night time
    /Znack
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:50 PM
  • App-V 4.5 and later uses cached reporting.

    The 4.5/4.6 clients will cache this information in an XML file labled by a <GUID.>

    The location of this <GUID>.XML file is registered using the LastCacheFile registry value in the following registry path:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Softgrid\4.5\Client\Reporting

    This LastCacheFile contains both the path and GUID file name.

    Here is an example of the reporting cache file:

    <REPORT_DATA_CACHE><APP_RECORDS><APP_RECORD Name="Adobe Reader 9.0" Ver="1.0" Server="app-v-ms.steveth.local" User="STEVETH\Gladiator" "Launched="8/19/2010 8:55:52 PM" Shutdown="8/19/2010 8:56:00 PM"/><APP_RECORD name="Adobe Reader 9.0" Ver="1.0"  Server="app-v-ms.STEVETH.local" User="STEVETH\Gladiator" Launched="8/19/2010 8:58:58 PM" Shutdown="8/19/2010 9:00:19 PM"/></APP_RECORDS></REPORT_DATA_CACHE>


    During DC/Publishing/Refresh the reporting data should be uploaded.

    You can trace the location of the GUID file by looking in LastCacheFile on a client registry. Verify there is reporting data - then manually refresh the server.

    Then check the SFTLOG.TXT file to see if there are errors uploading to the reporting server. If not, then the reporting data should be in the datastore.

    Also check the server reporting tag - located in the following registry path:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Softgrid\4.5\Client\DC Server\<SERVER>

    The DWORD value is 1 by default when using a 4.5 or later server. it can be set to 0 to disable reporting. Make sure it is not set to 0.


    Steve Thomas, SSEE, Microsoft
    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/SCCM/AppCompat
    http://madvirtualizer.wordpress.com/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”
    Friday, July 22, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Hi both,

    Thanks for the replies, it was just me being stupid. I assumed that because I am only using one server group I didn't need to assign the applications to a server group, so I left them set to <none>. You don't get the reporting information unless the applications are assigned to a server group, so the behaviour I was seeing was resolved by setting the apps to the default server group.

     

    • Marked as answer by TickTarry37 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:21 AM