Subdomain Removal Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a forest with some subdomains and try to remove subdomains.

my enterprise domain is on windows 2008r2 (e.g myCompany.local) and one of my subdomains is on windows 2003 (eg Sub.myCompany.local).

I remove the subdomain Sub.myCompany.local successfully. But when i try to connect to domain by othe clients i see SUB in the list of domains that client that connect to it.

I remove all elements of SUB subdomian in DNS,Site and Services, and Domains and Trusts. but my problem does not resolved.

please help what can i do to remove this SUB subdomain completely

Saturday, May 17, 2014 7:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

FYI - The best method to demote a domain is, while demoting the last domain controller for a domain, you need to select the option This server is the last domain controller in the domain option in the DCPromo tool, which removes the domain meta-data from Active Directory. 

From your details, I remove the subdomain Sub.myCompany.local successfully. But when i try to connect to domain by othe clients i see SUB in the list of domains that client that connect to it.

This is due to the domain meta-data is not removed from the Active Directory.

Checkout the below KB article for removing the orphaned domains from the Active Directory,
    How to remove orphaned domains from Active Directory

Regards,
    Gopi
    www.jijitechnologies.com

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Gholam,

>>But when i try to connect to domain by othe clients i see SUB in the list of domains that client that connect to it

If we delete the "SUB" from the list, will it come back?  

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Monday, May 19, 2014 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

FYI - The best method to demote a domain is, while demoting the last domain controller for a domain, you need to select the option This server is the last domain controller in the domain option in the DCPromo tool, which removes the domain meta-data from Active Directory. 

From your details, I remove the subdomain Sub.myCompany.local successfully. But when i try to connect to domain by othe clients i see SUB in the list of domains that client that connect to it.

This is due to the domain meta-data is not removed from the Active Directory.

Checkout the below KB article for removing the orphaned domains from the Active Directory,
    How to remove orphaned domains from Active Directory

Regards,
    Gopi
    www.jijitechnologies.com

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:48 AM