none
Approve sign-in? RRS feed

• Question

• When I sign in to a Microsoft service I enter my email address.  On the password screen I click Use Microsoft Authenticator app.  The website sends my phone an approval message which I approve and then an app opens on my phone stating "Approve sign-in?"  It then states my logon email address "From United States on Windows".  

There is an input prompt with a cancel and Next.  What do I enter here?  I tried the code but that doesnt work.  I didnt think I was supposed to have to enter any code, just approve the notification.

What am I doing wrong?

I have both the Microsoft Account and Microsoft Authenticator app installed on my android device.

Thanks,

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thanks for your screenshots.

Two-step verification works by prompting you for two pieces of identification when you sign in. First, we ask for your username and password as usual. Then, we contact a phone that we know belongs to you, and you confirm that the sign-in attempt was legitimate.

You need enter your phone screen unlock password to Microsoft Authenticator App on screenshot 2.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi

Sorry for the dealy response.

I test in my lab, when I approve sign in om my Phone, I will logon my account automatic. I don’t get an input prompt.

If possible, could you show me some screenshots that would help to explain what your issue is?

Regards,

Walter

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 3:05 AM
  • When I log into the website I receive a notification on my phone.  When I click on the notification I receive "Approve Sign in?" message.  There is a DENY and APPROVE options.  When I click Approve I get the second screen that I have no idea what to do with.  There is a cursor blinking asking for input.  .  I tried entering a key but it did not work.  

The blurred out item is my email address.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:15 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your screenshots.

Two-step verification works by prompting you for two pieces of identification when you sign in. First, we ask for your username and password as usual. Then, we contact a phone that we know belongs to you, and you confirm that the sign-in attempt was legitimate.

You need enter your phone screen unlock password to Microsoft Authenticator App on screenshot 2.

Regards,

Walter

Thursday, May 4, 2017 8:03 AM
  • That worked.  Some verbiage should be added to that screen indicating that the phone unlock code is the desired input.

Thanks,

Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Hi

If it works, please don't forget to mark it as an answer.

Regards,

Walter

Friday, May 5, 2017 4:55 AM
  • Ah.   Good reminder Walter.  It has been marked.

Friday, May 5, 2017 3:48 PM
  • Hi Josh, thanks - your screenshot is very helpful. Android OS implementation is so varied, the second (OS-generated) screen differs drastically from device to device. We're working on updating the strings on the first screen to give you more information. 

Thanks again, 

-Libby

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 11:08 PM
  • You say "enter your phone screen unlock password". Mine says "enter your screen lock to approve sign-in".  Either way this is very confusing. Better call it "enter you phone unlock code (PIN)".

And indeed it is two factor that way. But a bit strange. 

What I have - a phone

What I know - a PIN 

The competition just uses a simple answer Yes No on your phone. That is just verifying what "I have". But since they still ask the password in the browser, hence what "I know". It is more logical that way. 

Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:05 PM