Disk Protection Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have done a clean install of Windows XP SP2 with all available updates and Windows Defender. Whenever I try to turn on disk protection, it will create the cache file, but then say "Disk protection installation was not sucessful" It won't say why. This is a recurring problem. I've never been able to sucessfully turn on disk protection.

Friday, November 16, 2007 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to the hard drive problem. We can perform the following steps to troubleshooting this issue:

Step 1: Run check disk and defrag the disk

-----------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in "chkdsk /f" without quotations and press Enter. Type in Y and press Enter.

Note: You can also run chkdsk command without F parameter. It will provide a report of the current status of the hard drive.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Defrag the drive C.

Step 2: Make sure drive C is not compressed

-----------------------

Open "My Computer", right click drive C and then choose Properties.  In the General tab, make sure the "Compress drive to save disk space" option is unchecked.

If this issue persists, please provide the exact error message, and I will perform further research on it.

Best Regards,

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:41 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem on a Dell Optiplex 320. We have installed a HP machine and cloned the installation to the Dell. Everything works fine only WDP gives a problem. It starts making the cache file and stops saying "stuurprogramma installeren" something about installing a driver.

I removed en installed steadystate again but same problem.

Hope anyone can help.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Hi,

As Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to the hard drive problem. We can perform the following steps to troubleshooting this issue:

Step 1: Run check disk and defrag the disk

-----------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in "chkdsk /f" without quotations and press Enter. Type in Y and press Enter.

Note: You can also run chkdsk command without F parameter. It will provide a report of the current status of the hard drive.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Defrag the drive C.

Step 2: Make sure drive C is not compressed

-----------------------

Open "My Computer", right click drive C and then choose Properties.  In the General tab, make sure the "Compress drive to save disk space" option is unchecked.

If this issue persists, please provide the exact error message, and I will perform further research on it.

Best Regards,

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:41 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

I already found the steps you purposed on this forum. I followed every one of them but the problem still exists.

What else can we do?

Ed.

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:14 AM
  • Not to be rude, but I'm not so stupid as to not follow the directions that came with the software...

Monday, November 19, 2007 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

We tried all this but with no luck.

What else is there to do and fix the problem?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Hi Ed,

To check whether this issue is caused by software factors, we can perform a Clean Boot:

------------------------

1. Click Start, go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All. Select Windows SteadyState Service. 

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

Then, restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

4. Please check this issue again.

If this issue persists, please help me collect the System Information file for further research.

------------------------

1. Press Start, Run and type in “msinfo32” without quotations. Press OK.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file to Desktop.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com

Regards,

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:21 AM
  • Having the same trouble on an Optiplex 320. Any resolution yet?

Thanks

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Have you tried some general steps? Such as the following:

1. Run chkdsk command

2. Defrag the hard drive

3. Make sure the C drive is not compressed

4. Make sure there is enough free space on drive C (more than half)

Regards,

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:17 AM
  • I've done everything stated above in the post. 150Gb drive - 134Gb unused. Tried Deep Freeze and it worked like a charm. Would rather use SteadyState because of the free-ness. Anyway I'll keep working on it.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:51 PM
  •  

I agree on the Deep Freeze issue. It ALWAYS works, but it's NOT cheap. I have 130 machines and of those 116 of them have Deep Freeze installed on them. Which means I have to make sure that the updates actually take place otherwise they don't seem to update correctly. BUT I have14 machines with WSS on them and about have of those also have DF on them due to the fact that WDP fails to install with no error message at all. It's really frustrating. Great program with some buggyness is not so bad after all. Just wish it worked on ALL machines, but I know that's not possible given the number of different parts installed in different machines.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:38 PM