none
Windows update issue (100% cpu and no updates)

Question

• I'm installing a new Windows XP on an old laptop, has mostly went well. After XP sp3 it installed a few updates, then took a good while, a couple of days while windows update would not give me the big list of updates, and I got frustrated, removed systemdir/softwaredistribution and  systemdir/system32/catroot and it gave me results I think within a couple of hours.

Then I installed Office 2007. And windows update upgraded that to 2007 sp3 as well. After that, I'm having an issue with the cpu going to 100% and it's going for days and no list ever comes up again. So I tried removing those folders again, except it didn't work this time.

So I turned on fulll windows update logs from the registry (after restarting the windows update service and requesting update now from the client), 

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace\Flags set to 16

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace\Level set to 4

and it would fill the log full the first 30 minutes, it grows some 30 MB of logs. Then nothing. It is using 100% cpu but no output.. it seems like it gets stuck in a forever loop and consumes all cpu.

Laptop is single threaded 1.7 GHz pentium M Centrino.

Since it already has all possible updates related to windows and windows update (but not office), I'm doubtful there is an update that fixes this windows update issue. I don't really understand the log, but it seems all normal, no real errors, just warnings. I think that's normal.

Anyone knows how to troubleshoot windows updates further?  

Perhaps I should try updates that came after office 2007 sp3 standalone, that way help it along its way, but I wouldn't know what updates there were, and how to get them.

Christmas spirit all year long Please remember to vote on useful replies. Mark answers. Help to answer questions of others while you are visting the forums. Thank you.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:17 AM

All replies

• OK so my issue is resolved. Here is what I found. This problem has occured earlier in xp sp2. The fix was to download:

- latest windows update agent WUA3.0 and
    - kb927891

However, on xp sp3 both of these are already installed. The resolution is an IE update. Depending on IE version is different. Assuming IE8, it is MS13-097 / KB2898785

This seems to have helped. Although, one thing that is said is that the issue is triggered by overwhelming updates, and for that I found an offline updater. I used a free one, but obviously there is a risk for viruses and malware downloading from 3rd parties, so I used virustotal to check some files.

Afterwards, windows updated started working and found 6 additional office updates, which also confirmed the issue was resolved.

Christmas spirit all year long Please remember to vote on useful replies. Mark answers. Help to answer questions of others while you are visting the forums. Thank you.

Saturday, November 4, 2017 5:19 PM
  • I use Windows XP Hack Embedded (updates until 2019). I always update with Microsoft Update from internet explorer and it took about 3 hours to find the updates.
    Last month it never ended and he had to choose not to use internet explorer but automatic updates of the control panel to be able to hibernate the computer and continue the search for updates the next day. It took 2 whole days.
    This month the problem got worse and I was already gone for 3 days without finding the updates. As in Windows 10 there have also been problems this month with the Malicious Remove Tool, I figured that in XP it would be the same and I found this thread.
    I installed KB4047206, KB4011265 and KB4011205, I restarted, I searched for updates with internet explorer and found the 4 that were missing in 2 minutes !!!!!!!!!!
    From now on, when you see how long it takes to find updates, I will consult the ones available
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=XP+Embedded
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=office+compatibility
    and giving to order by descending date clicking on 'Date' column header.
    The updates that can take a long time to find are the cumulative of both Internet explorer and windows.

Every second Tuesday of every month, you have to enter the previous links, look for the cumulative update and those of the office 2007 compatibility package. They tend to be 3 in total. They are downloaded and installed manually. Then search for updates with internet explorer and in about 2 minutes find the rest.
    In control panel, automatic updates must be deactivated and have been restarted, to avoid cpu 100% svchost.exe bug in windows update.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:11 AM
  • I salut you for such great info, bc my joy was shortlived and the problem is back of course. I hope this thread stands, there was a thread started by someone else that magically disappeared. for that reason I was afraid to mention where I got my updates from. But getting them directly from the catalog, including the ones for the embedded version, is super great! thank you! I'll give it a try

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:01 PM
  • You can actually get Windows Xp updates directly.. You need a server 2008 or 2008R2 server.. Use a trial key.. install it.. and configure WSUS server, which is pretty simple.. Once that is up, use WSUS to download all Windows XP updates, including the POS one's if you are using the 2019 updates from the POS version of XP, or have a POS Desktop.. (Insert ironic joke).. Once you have all the updates downloaded on the trial WSUS server.. Use a 3rd party tool called WSUSOffline version 9.23 and run it from a client machine, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, xp whatever.. as long as that system has a DVD-Burner.. 

In the WSUSOffline software, you can build an XP Windows Update disk into an ISO file.. Burn that ISO to a DVD, and install all the updates on your XP machine.. This will also include Service packs, language packs, etc.. It will save you day's in the long run, especially if you intend to run XP for a while.. 

You can also do this to run 2000 Desktop or server and get all the updates.. 

Rob

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:38 PM