Migrating from Technical Preview 5 to Final without creating new user accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I set up Technical Preview 5 on our server.  Unfortunately, it has expired and we must migrate to the final version.

We are using Windows server Essentials, and the last time that I migrated Windows Server, the connector software it created new domain accounts for everyone.

Is there a way to do a migration in which new accounts are not created and existing domain accounts are used?  It is inconvenient for people to loose their settings and such when they have to use a new domain account (which tends to create a new account directory in users with 000,001 etc attached)

Thanks!

David

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:19 PM

All replies

• If it is still functional you can probably stand up a new RTM version, patch it fully, join existing domain, and migrate roles and such over. Might also ask them here how to migrate essentials to new build.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=ws16essentials

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to migrate from Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 (Standard/Datacenter edition) to Windows Server Essentials.

>the connector software it created new domain accounts for everyone.
    Connector.exe should be installed/configured on the client in order to connect client to Windows Server Essentials. 

However, Connector.exe doesn’t create account, domain account is created/provided on/by your Essentials Server using “Dashboard – USERS”, or, “Active Directory Users and Computers”.

When you install/configure Connector.exe on the client, just enter the domain credential (which has already been created on your Essentials Server) to complete the installation. 

So, if you want to keep exiting data(including domain credentials), you may migrate from the Windows Server 2016 TP5 to your current server.

Detail steps you may reference article - Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/essentials/migrate/migrate-from-previous-versions-to-windows-server-essentials-or-windows-server-essentials-experience

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:46 AM