Disabling Setup Button/Menu item from Proclarity Desktop 6.3 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all:

I've been wondering if there's a way to prevent users from using the SETUP functionality from Proclarity Desktop.

It is a very powerful, but dangerous possibility for common users to deal with and I don't want them to mess with Herarchies and Dimensions.

Any ideas? Any Registry entry to modify?

Thanks!

gsanche5
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 2:02 AM

Answers

• There are a couple options. 

1. If you are just wanting to give users access to a report (briefing book page) without them being able to modify it, I would recommend you publish the briefing book to the ProClarity Analytic Server (PAS).  You can then grant them access to the report via the Web Standard, which requires no software to be installed on the client, and restrict capabilities using the various URL parameters, one of which can hide the tab strip.  Obviously there is an additional cost if you don't already own PAS. 
    2. Another option is to come up with a way to programmatically modify the Options.xml file for each of your users to hide the Setup button.
    3. The final, and most complex approach would be to develop an add-in that automatically hides the button.

I provided details for options 2 and 3 in a previous post:  http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3483409&SiteID=17

Good Luck,

Jason

BTG Services

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:17 PM