The first page numbering is starting as 2-1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document of three chapters, I used the multilevel numbering to number the chapters and a section break between chapters. The numbering is in the footer and the footer of each section is not linked to the previous one. The problem is that chapter one which has to be numbered as 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, ........ is numbered as 2-1, 2-2,2-3,2-4,........ Chapter two is correct, i.e., 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, ......... Chapter three is correct too, i.e., 3-1, 3-2, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, ........

I tried to restart numbering from 1, but that would not change the first numbering digit of the numbering format, instead it changes the second number (after the "-"). I also tried to delete the numbering and insert it again but this hasn't worked too. Restarting word hasn't changed anything.

There is no section before Chapter one. Chapter one starts from page one of the document. Any idea please, I worked more than ten hours trying to fix that, help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Edited by toomadavid Friday, June 15, 2012 3:37 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

• The problem is solved!! I deleted the field Chapter 1 from the document, then I chose (Chapter/Heading 1) from the styles list in the home ribbon. then at last numbering is correct... Maybe using the multilevel list was the problem, don't know.
    • Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, June 18, 2012 8:10 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 5:33 PM

All replies

• The problem is solved!! I deleted the field Chapter 1 from the document, then I chose (Chapter/Heading 1) from the styles list in the home ribbon. then at last numbering is correct... Maybe using the multilevel list was the problem, don't know.
    • Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, June 18, 2012 8:10 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing the solution, this will help the others who meet the same issue!

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:11 AM