optimizing performance for 3 VM on a hyper-v host- NUMA

Question

• We want to optimize performance for 3 VM on a 2012 hyper-v host

Currently we have a Dell PE R710   E7520 -- 2 CPU quad core; 128 GB RAM

All three VMs have NUMA configured.

VM7 - processors-8, numa nodes 1, sockets 1

VM8 - processors-8, numa nodes 1, sockets 1

VM9 -processors-16, numa nodes 2, sockets 2

VM9 is so busy we cannot log onto it. (SCCM DP role)

%hyper-v logical processor>>%runtime is over 90%.

It appears the VM9 is overwhelmed while VM8 and VM7 seem okay.

Any recommendations on NUMA or else something else to help out this hyper-v host and VMs.

dsk

• Edited by kimdav111 Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:40 PM corection
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

"For example, if a host has 16 cores and 64 GB divided evenly between two NUMA nodes with two NUMA nodes per physical processor socket, then a virtual machine that is created on the host with 16 virtual processors will have the maximum number of processors per node setting set to eight, maximum nodes per socket set to two, and maximum memory per node set to 32 GB."

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/pracheta/2014/01/22/numa-understand-it-its-usefulness-with-windows-server-2012/

Hope it is helpful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:48 PM
  • VM9 will appear extremely busy as you have allocated more virtual cores than you have physical cores in the host, this is BAD!

Your NUMA topology should be 2 NUMA nodes, 4 vCPU per node - giving you a maximum of 8 useable cores per VM.

Realistically on a setup of this size you should just leave NUMA alone and let the host decide on the best topology.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click Vote as Helpful, if it answered your question, please click Mark as Answer. I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences. Emma's Baby Diary About Me

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:18 PM