SFTMon tool? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Curious if there is any news or progress that could be shared about the SFTmon utility? Any release date possibilites
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:16 AM

Answers

• At this time, there are no plans to release SFTMON.  However, you can achieve the same results by writing a batch script to do the same thing.

The script will need to detect when the USB stick is inserted in the machine. 

Then, scan the device for *.xml (manifest file).

If .xml found, then run SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE <<insert package here>>

When USB is removed, run SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE

Gene

Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:54 PM

All replies

• What, exactly, is that utility (some monitoring tool for App-V environment)? I haven't heard of it before..

br,

Kalle

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  

It was demo'ed at PDC 2008 by John Sheehan where it sits on the OS monitoring for any new changes like USB insertions and then looks for the presents of virtual applications. If found, it uses SFTMime to load the apps into cache. He showed Office 2007 where a local .pptx file was not recognized by the system, then after insertion, he opened up the powerpoint. After removal, back to unrecognized. Great for kiosk, security teams or government agencies I've worked at, among many other I'm sure.

Looking at doing something similar using default program actions and sftmime. The manifest file is used for import though.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:08 PM
  • At this time, there are no plans to release SFTMON.  However, you can achieve the same results by writing a batch script to do the same thing.

The script will need to detect when the USB stick is inserted in the machine. 

Then, scan the device for *.xml (manifest file).

If .xml found, then run SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE <<insert package here>>

When USB is removed, run SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE

Gene

Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:54 PM
  •  

Thanks Gene.  Kind of what I suspected the actions were, now for the fun part of putting it together.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:46 PM