Movie Clip thumbnails not generating in folders RRS feed

• Question

• A rather odd issue that I can't seem to find any previous instance of is the video thumbnails that get generated in folder view.

Any file with a .avi extension classified in the preview pane as 'Video Clip' the thumbnail is created and displays fine.
    Any file with a .mpg extension classified in the preview pane as 'Movie Clip' the thumbnails are not displayed and I just get the generic WMP icon displayed.

Sunday, July 9, 2006 8:22 AM

All replies

• The same issue has happened to me recently on Windows XP Pro. Non of my media files will display the appropriate thumbnails. Images or okay. But mpg, wmv, avi, etc. only show the generic icon.

This occured after installing Media Player 11. I've don't a rollback but no change. Don't know if it's related to your issue...

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:32 AM
  • Same problem with me!! Copied files that I have been using with Ulead Video Studio 10 and some folders show thumbnails some don't.  Even when they share the same file extensions.

XP Home with all updates.  Media player 11 too.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:55 PM
  • I have the exact same problem.

.AVI fine, .MPG nothing but the WMP icon.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 11:02 AM

• Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit operating system 
    Windows Exporer 8   

I have the same problem too!  I have mcafee that has  installed Security Center,
    Virus scan, Personal firewall, SiteAdvisor, Anti-Spam, Parental Control, Easy Network,Back up and Restore. It might cause trouble?  I contaced Mcafee stuff on line, He asked me to close all Mcafee program, and It didn't change, so that he said " Mcafee doesn't affect its problem"

My situation:
    { Picture }
    O-ipeg file (picture)
    x-avi files  (movie)
    o-bmp files( picture)

{ Windows Media Player}
    O-Avi files
    X-ipeg and bmp files

{Windows live photo gallery}
    X- all files

{Windows Photo Gallery}
    O- Ipeg files
    X-bmp files
    X-avi files

I have been working on it for 2 weeks. I tried downloaded CCP but it didn't change at all. I also tried to download to" registry file to fix to video thumbnails in Explorer"
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/FIXMissingThumbnailsForVideosWMVAVIMPGInWindowsExplorer.aspx
    it didn't change either.  I couldn't fine [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]@="{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}" in my regedit .   Many people have solved using this site. I am wondering if I put "Download Registry File (rename .reg) to Fix Video Thumbnails in Explorer" in wrong place or so...
     I hope that you can solve the problem.

• Proposed as answer by chichichichi Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:15 AM