none
Migrating on premise File Share Home Directories to One Drive for Business

Question

• Hey Everyone! I have very little O365 experience and have been tasked with migrating the home directories of about 200 users from an on-premise file share to One Drive for Business. I have been googling this all day and I am finding that I cannot seem to uncover any good documentation on this process so I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction here.

My request doesn't seem out of the ordinary here. I would like to take my users' directories, starting with one or two at first and then doing it in batches of a dozen or so, and copy them from my file server into each matching user's One Drive for Business folder. But there does not seem to be any good way of automating this. I found this article 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-network-upload-to-import-SharePoint-data-to-Office-365-ed4a43b7-c4e3-45c8-94c8-998153407b8a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#BKMK_NetworkUpload

But it seems extremely complicated and time consuming, especially when I may need to end up repeating this many times over. I know each user could potentially just copy his/her home directory over to the One Drive folder, but 1) I don't trust my users to do this in a proper/timely fashion, 2) From what I understand the Sync tool is not meant to be a migration tool and does not always handle big chunks of data well.

Could anyone here give me any idea as to what the best way to do this is? Thanks everyone!

Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:34 PM

All replies