WSUS - IIS installed on a separate server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an IIS installed in a DMZ.

I want to install WSUS in my secure network and use IIS server in a DMZ.

It is possible to install WSUS with IIS installed on another server?

Thank you!

Marco R.

Sunday, November 30, 2014 9:40 PM

Answers

• IIS is always installed automatically under WSUS, so you cant setup IIS on different server

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:50 PM

All replies

• IIS is always installed automatically under WSUS, so you cant setup IIS on different server

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:50 PM
  • It is possible a manual installation?

Thank you.

Marco R.

Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:33 PM
  • Nopes.

Monday, December 1, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Dude.. I see you are an 'mvp' but really?>

your response does not address the QUESTION, makes NO sense and is simply not accurate.

I can install IIS on as many servers as I want, regardless of where I've already installed it. 

Installing IIS on a WSUS server (which as you pointed out happens automatically) does not in any way inhibit me from installing it on another server or servers, or every server I own.  Installing IIS has NO dependency on WSUS (although WSUS does seem to depend on IIS)

But the question remains  WSUS seems to be presented as a web-based service via IIS.  Great!.. so why CAN'T we have a front-end Reverse Proxy?  If the prox is acutally a PROXY, then by the very definition of "PROXY"  it is acting on behalf of another.  Why CAN'T it simply re-write the request and pass it on "on behalf of" the requesting computer?

Monday, March 16, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Ultimately the software makes no provision for this at present, there is a thread a few pages back from the WSUS dev's asking what we would like to see in future versions, perhaps this could be added to that list of requested options.

I must say though, I am struggling to see a use case for it. It works perfectly well as is and there is no performance hit from running IIS on the same server, IIS doesn't need extra licensing for this.

Unless there is a compelling reason, I cannot see this functionality being added.

Can you advise what the problem is with installing IIS on the same server and why you are trying to use a different copy of IIS? If we know your thinking we may be able to advise an alternate solution.

Monday, March 16, 2015 5:52 PM