How to get rid of Edge Browser? And stop my computer from freezing up? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't remember the last time I had a computer freeze but ever since I started using it - my whole computer will freeze. I'm astonished that MS would let out their big attempt to gain ground on Google with such problem.

The last time I had to reboot a computer because the whole thing crashed was probably a decade ago.

How do I get rid of Edge or failing that - make sure that I don't accidentally use it? It's set as the default browser somewhere.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:09 PM

Answers

• Hi corttt,

We could chage the default apps from the following path:

Settings -> System -> Default Apps -> Web Broswer

And if we don't like t otake use of Microsoft Edge, then we may consider what David suggested, currently remove the pinned items.

For the system hangs, please consider do a clean boot first:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:28 AM

All replies

• I can't remember the last time I had a computer freeze but ever since I started using it - my whole computer will freeze. I'm astonished that MS would let out their big attempt to gain ground on Google with such problem.

The last time I had to reboot a computer because the whole thing crashed was probably a decade ago.

How do I get rid of Edge or failing that - make sure that I don't accidentally use it? It's set as the default browser somewhere.

Yes, by default, Edge is the default browser for windows 10.

I don't use it. I just unpin it from Start and Taskbar and never have to see or touch it.

Then I take IE11 out from All apps > Windows Accessories, and set it as my default browser.

• Edited by david hk129 Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:26 PM
  • Hi corttt,

We could chage the default apps from the following path:

Settings -> System -> Default Apps -> Web Broswer

And if we don't like t otake use of Microsoft Edge, then we may consider what David suggested, currently remove the pinned items.

For the system hangs, please consider do a clean boot first:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:28 AM
  • Edge is not listed as my web browser, but shows up each time I click on Google Chrome, which is my selected browser.  How else do I stop Edge?
    Friday, January 13, 2017 7:10 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  When I try look for internet explorer what pops up is "Looking for internet explorer try Microsoft edge".  I am not able use important websites with edge.  There is a pop up when I turn my computer on for Microsoft edge that I have to keep closing.  You are not able to remove this program without major changes that I do not want to do.  Please tell me how to disable it.
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:37 AM
  • Why do "we" keep having to let you know that "we" are unsatisfied with an answer and/or solution...NOTHING ever happens!  Seldom does anyone reply and, when they do, it always starts with ~ " I'm so sorry you are having this problem"  I will help you solve it" and then some kind of almost totally incomprehensible gibberish follows; one needs a PhD in math/physics to attempt it.  So much for customer service...!  You folks should be embarrassed.
    Monday, October 2, 2017 3:40 AM