none
DHCP Server does not log MAC Address RRS feed

• Question

• Today we ran into a problem while identifying a client in the DHCP Server, as it has no hostname, and the field that should log the MAC Address had a 36 character string. So searching for  a solution, I discovered that the 7th field, which should log the MAC Addres, at really, log the DCHP Client UID (DUID). You can simulate it by using a Linux machine to request an IP with the following command: "dhclient eth0 -i" (-i will send the duid). So my questions is, why all Microsoft Documentation about DHCP Server Logs says it log the MAC Address while it clearly doesn't? And why it doesn't log the MAC? There should be an additional field in the logs for the DUID.
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Marcos,

Thanks for posting here.

Today we ran into a problem while identifying a client in the DHCP Server, as it has no hostname, and the field that should log the MAC Address had a 36 character string.

So searching for  a solution, I discovered that the 7th field, which should log the MAC Addres, at really, log the DCHP Client UID (DUID).

You can simulate it by using a Linux machine to request an IP with the following command: "dhclient eth0 -i" (-i will send the duid).

So my questions is, why all Microsoft Documentation about DHCP Server Logs says it log the MAC Address while it clearly doesn't? And why it doesn't log the MAC?

There should be an additional field in the logs for the DUID.

Besides of the C:\windows\system32\dhcp logs the related DHCP information, we could use a workaround:

Using powershell commands to get the related DHCP information, please check if it helps:

Get-DhcpServerAuditLog | select-object Date,Time,Description,MAC | format-table -autosize

For more related commands, please refer to link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj590751(v=wps.630).aspx

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

• Edited by Hello_2018 Friday, May 6, 2016 6:58 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 6:57 AM
  • The command Get-DhcpServerAuditLog only show the configuration params...

Get-DhcpServerAuditLog

Gets the configuration parameters related to the audit log of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server service.

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:49 PM