none
Sql server R services - Upgrade R version RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to update R within SQL Server from version 3.2.2 to version 3.5.0, but whenever I run updateR() from the installr package, the update does not go through. After running updateR() and closing the Rgui, when I open the Rgui back up, the R version is still only 3.2.2. How can I get R to update so I can run packages such as odbc?

Appreciate your help!

thank you,

Rajesh  

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 9:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Rajesh - 

The ML Services in SQL Server are provided with a specific version of R and Python. You can not change this version, without upgrading ML Server. You can update to the latest version of ML Server 9.3 which uses Microsoft R Open 3.4.3.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/machinelearning/2018/02/27/introducing-the-microsoft-machine-learning-server-9-3-release/ describes the latest updates in 9.3, and has a link on how to bind SQL Server to this newer version. 

Hopes this answers your question.

Thanks,

Rene

• Edited by renebouw Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by renebouw Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by rajesh.paruchuri Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Rajesh - 

The ML Services in SQL Server are provided with a specific version of R and Python. You can not change this version, without upgrading ML Server. You can update to the latest version of ML Server 9.3 which uses Microsoft R Open 3.4.3.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/machinelearning/2018/02/27/introducing-the-microsoft-machine-learning-server-9-3-release/ describes the latest updates in 9.3, and has a link on how to bind SQL Server to this newer version. 

Hopes this answers your question.

Thanks,

Rene

• Edited by renebouw Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by renebouw Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by rajesh.paruchuri Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:50 PM
  • Hi Rene - 

Appreciate your response. We will explore upgrading the ML components separately. 

Thank You,

Rajesh

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:46 PM