Outlook 2016 - BITS Jobs - Outlook Offline Address Book RRS feed

• Question

• There can only be 60 BITS jobs
    • I'm getting errors that more BITS jobs can't be created
    • I listed all the BITS jobs via bitsadmin /list /allusers, and there are 60 jobs
    • They are all from Microsoft Outlook Offline Address Book
    • Why is Outlook 2016 creating BITS jobs, and not cleaning them up
    • Outlook 2016 is only connected to my @outlook.com email account

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/AR7eP8q.png

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi bedub1,

>> I'm getting errors that more BITS jobs can't be created

Did you get the error when trying to download the OAB?
    If possible, could you please share the detailed error message and also the steps to trigger the issue then we can do further research on this?

By the way, does this issue occur to all users in your environment?

Besides, please try clearing the queue and check the result:

bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:50 AM
  • These errors show up in the System even logs.  I don't do anything specific to generate them, just use Outlook 2016 normally.  I've cleared the queue, and it just fills back up again.

I'm the only user in my environment, as I'm a Home User connecting Outlook 2016 to my Outlook.com email address.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client
    Date:          10/10/2017 10:06:45 AM
    Event ID:      16398
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      ComputerName
    Description:
    A new BITS job could not be created. The current job count for the user ComputerName\User (60) is equal to or greater than the job limit (60) specified through group policy.  To correct the problem, complete or cancel the BITS jobs that haven't made progress by looking at the error, and restart the BITS service. If this error recurs, contact your system administrator and increate the per-user and per-computer Group Policy job limits.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client" Guid="{EF1CC15B-46C1-414E-BB95-E76B077BD51E}" />
        <EventID>16398</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-10-10T17:06:45.098754800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1053</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="216" ThreadID="232" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>BigBlackBox</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="entityName">ComputerName\User</Data>
        <Data Name="currentSize">60</Data>
        <Data Name="currentLimit">60</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:12 PM
  • Any ideas?
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:08 PM
  • A new BITS job could not be created. The current job count for the user ComputerName\User (60) is equal to or greater than the job limit (60) specified through group policy.  To correct the problem, complete or cancel the BITS jobs that haven't made progress by looking at the error, and restart the BITS service. If this error recurs, contact your system administrator and increate the per-user and per-computer Group Policy job limits.    

Hi bedub1,

Sorry for the delay.

As far as I know, A BITS job represents one application’s request to transfer a set of files from a server or to a server. In your situation, BITS jobs are seem to created when Outlook downloading OAB from Sever. 

According to the error logs above, it seems that the current job count for this computer is equal to or greater than the job limit specified through group policy. Please try to modify the Maximum number of BITS jobs for each user Group Policy setting:

1. Press Win + R, type "gpedit.msc", press Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
    2. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network, and then click Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).
    3. In the right pane, double-click Limit the maximum number of BITS jobs for each user
    4. On the Settings tab, in Limit the maximum number of BITS jobs for each user, increase the value as appropriate for your environment. Click OK:

Hope you can find this helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:05 AM
  • Yuki,

That's not a solution, that's a work-around.  I've also reset and cleared the queue, which drains it empty, and then it fills up again.  The solution is to get Outlook to clean up these BITS jobs after they are successfully run. 

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Any other ideas?

Is Outlook supposed to be cleaning up it's BITS jobs?  Is Windows supposed to cleanup all BITS jobs?

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:41 PM
  • Anybody?
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:29 PM
  • Hey i have the same problem. I noticed that a few new users were not showing up in some peoples address books. I then went to event log and found all these bits errors. I then ran the command to view the queue (bitsadmin /list /allusers) and saw all these outlook address book bits jobs... BINGO

but yes, why are they getting stuck? if i figure it out i will post back. there are a few errored out jobs to do with chrome updater and the group policy on this machine is not downloading updates either... i think its all related but as for a fix, i dont have one yet.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 5:25 PM
  • So I spent the better part of the day trying to figure out wtf is going on. Things i learned,

- running the following powershell command (or bitsadmin), you can see what errors are being generated where tasks are getting stuck. Points you in some directions.

first, Import-Module BITSTransfer

then

Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers | foreach {get-bitstransfer -jobid $_.jobid | select -ExpandProperty FileList | where {$_.BytesTransferred -eq 0} | select -first 1} OR Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers | select -ExpandProperty FileList | Out-File C:\bits.txt

OR "bitsadmin /allusers /list /verbose > c:\output.txt" , if powershell isnt working

- Using that, the address book was failing with a 401 error. However when i manually went to the URL as the user, the xml file appeared fine. the url was something like https://mail.contoso.com/OAB/9165d096-ff22-4a79-ba2d-b47d8645e220/oab.xml

- I discovered that there were two address books on our exchange server, and one was old. however that was set as default. No exchange database was using it, so i set the 2016 one as default on the server, which allowed a single command of (get-offlineaddressbook| update-offlineaddressbook) which was running against the old default, to run against the correct one. So that fixed a long standing problem that i had to specify the address book specifically to get the above command working. I then deleted the old address book (was ex2012, which i dont know where that came from...). None of that should have mattered, becuase as i said, no exchange database was using it and the client was trying to download the correct GUID one.

- i double checked the security settings on the OAB IIS directory as per this article, but it looked fine (authenticated users had read)  http://msexchangeguru.com/2014/05/11/e2010-oab-error-80190194/

- none of these actions seemed to make the address book refresh on the clients, so i went back to the clients. I knew that there was a command to reset the jobs. It didnt seem to work the other day but i tried it again today. bitsadmin.exe /allusers /reset

That final command has worked on several workstations now. Forcing a download of the address book from send and receive is working, doesnt lag or error out, and the new user appears in their address book.

So i cant say for sure that this has solved the problem, and i do need to touch each affected workstation, but it does seem like this has cleared it at least for the moment. As to why these jobs were piling up in BITS, i have no idea, and cant say it wont happen again.

references:

bitsadmin examples: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa362812(v=vs.85).aspx

what ended up working in the end: http://blog.lavie.org/?tag=0x80200049

background on OAB and its storage location: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2012/04/27/how-large-is-my-exchange-offline-address-book-oab/

discussion and troubleshooting of a similar problem: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/stevenha/2013/01/09/offline-address-book-full-download-fails-if-hardware-load-balancer-in-use/

discussion of the error i was getting (different cause): https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/4a3dbae7-70f5-4af3-af19-d9eff958bd11/oab-download-0x8020001b-all-users?forum=exchange2010

troubleshooting bits with powershell: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/cmpfekevin/2014/01/29/troubleshooting-bits-with-powershell/

similar problem to do with OAB not downloading because replication failed (we dont use replication, but there were some insights there): https://justaucguy.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/exchange-2013-and-2016-oab/

Friday, March 9, 2018 8:16 PM
  • Spent another full day troubleshooting this. Looking at the IIS logs on exchange, i can see 401 errors followed by 206 requests. The bits service does not always pass a username to exchange it seems.

However, the OSX machines on site here also have 401 errors in the iis log. But they dont have problems with the address book....

So far today i have tried:

- added authenticated users to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\OAB" directory

- set bits timeout to 1 day and bits speed to higher (will change tommorrow, (default is 90 days!), but i want to see if that setting will clear out the old jobs)
    - set the internal and external url to be the same in outlook anywhere (exchange server). Previously internal was the machinename.domain and the external was mail.domain. pointed both to mail.domain
    - enabled kernel mode authenticaiton on the oab iis directory, as i can find references to that fixing problems back in 2010...

We are also going to apply the newly released CU9 update for exchange tonight as it does look more and more like a server problem, what with the OSX clients also being somewhat affected. Maybe the occasional 401 error is normal? i have no idea still wtf is going on here...

Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:24 PM
  •  I have the same issue. I keep getting these errors and my computer completely freezes. I have to cut power and restart.  I have outlook 2016 with an exchange account.

I have seen the same full list at power shell. I do not have group policy editor on my computer and can not increase bits job limit as well. 

• Edited by ayaz1 Thursday, March 29, 2018 4:44 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 4:41 PM
  • We disable cache Outlook and OAB download good
    Sunday, April 15, 2018 5:51 PM
  • for us, its not just about outlook. I have learned over the last few months that much of windows relies on the bits service. A huge part is windows 10 applications that all use the bits service, windows updates, etc. if it gets all jammed up then applications wont update. Most of our users are in cached mode, but they need to be, so its not really a solution for us to disable cached mode. Just probably means there is no OAB to download because it reads directly from exchange like webmail (not sure about that though). You may have just sidestepped the problem. My instructions above do not solve the problem because we still have it.

this is such a big problem for us we are considering calling microsoft, which I have never done in 20 years of troubleshooting problems.

the only thing that helped really was setting a 3 day timeout for bits jobs to expire using group policy. And fyi ayaz1, all computers have local policy. just go start menu run and type gpedit.msc. should allow you to show local policy.

i am just scouring forums support threads and wondering why the heck there isnt more people with this problem. is it our environment? some other 3rd party software like sophos? its a real head scratcher. if its crippling us, how can it not be affecting other corps enough for someone to post about it?

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Ahaha.. well Someone else figured it out. Its chrome updater that causes BITS jobs to jam up, which causes outlook to fail to download mail and OAB problem. As well as lots of other problems, SCCM downloads, onedrive downloads, basically anything that uses bits.

Apparently the fix is to uninstall chrome. Since that is not possible in our environment, i am disabling the chrome update scheduled tasks and the service to see if that allows one particularly problematic machine to recover. Will post back if it is indeed the fix.

ref

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/E227V9xWSLw

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/217869-outlook-not-receiving-email-until-restarted?page=1#entry-7919584

Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:21 PM