none
PWA Group Summary RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project with 1 Task.

The Task has 12hrs duration (07:00-19:00).

The Task has no Task Calendar and the Project Calendar is a 12hrs (07:00-19:00) Enterpirse Calendar. So the project duration is 1d

I published this project and I made a View in PWA to group it with some similar projects based on an Enterpirse Field like Work_Type.

This project is single right now in group.

In PWA the Project Duration is ok 1d, but in the Group summary line which is shown the duration is 1,5d.

Can someone help or explain this ?

Thanks

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By default MS Project shows duration in days - unit of its measurement. Besides the calendar , you might want to adjust the Project Options. First verify whether your task with 1d duration is showing 1d = 8 hrs or 1d = 12 hrs. In order to verify that, change the units for durations from days to hours by following these steps:

1. In MS Project 2010 go to File > Options
    2. From the Project Options dialog box, click on Schedule on left
    3. Then under the third section titled 'Scheduling options for this project', make sure your current project is selected
    4. Now change the 'Duration is entered in' dropdown value from Days to Hours
    5. Also change the Date format. By default it shows the day, Date. Change it to Day, Date, Time. To do that, under Project Options, click General on left
    6. Under Project view section, change the date format dropdown to pick a format that shows day, date and time
    7. Click OK

Duration should show 8 hrs if you didn't change the calendar options for the project. To change that follow steps:

1. In MS Project 2010 go to File > Options
    2. From the Project Options dialog box, click on Schedule on left
    3. Then under the first section titled 'Calendar options for this project', adjust the Default Start time to 7 AM and Default End time to 7 PM. Adjust Hours per day to 12 and hours per week to 60
    4. Click OK
    5. Create a new task and review its duration and date format under start / finish columns

then publish the project and see the view.

Faisal Masood – PMP

www.FaisalMasood.com | www.Softvative.com | www.epmadmin.com

Blog | Twitter | YouTube 

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hi Faisal,

I have already done these. In MSP 2010 all are ok and have no problem.

My problem is in PWA where the procedure of grouping some projects creates a "Group Summary" in Project Center. This "Group Summary" has wrong duration. The project has 1d and the  "Group Summary" has 1,5d

Tassos

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hi Faisal,

Not sure if your standard calendar is 12h or not - but consider the potential of having a group of plans, each with different calendars, all being rolled up.  What should be the right total duration if some have 1d that is really 12h and some have 1d which is 8h and possibly even some with 1d that is 4h.  Unfortunately some parts of PWA assume an 8h day to get around some of these anomolies.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:42 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian

I have done this with only one project in the group as test. After using the Group By combobox in PWA it seems that the group totals are calculated based on Project Server Standard calendar (which is 8hrs). The right thing in opinion is the Group Total to be a SUM of the Durations.

Thanks 

Tassos

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:15 PM