none
App-V virtual registry with ActiveComputerName problems... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we recently started using App-V and I'm running into an issue. We have an app that is dependent on the ComputerName. So in the package's virtual registry I set the ComputerName value at:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName

The issue is that it doesn't work on our fully updated Windows 10 computers. But, the same package works perfect on Windows 7 with App-V Client verison 5.1.86.0.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Monday, June 11, 2018 7:28 PM

All replies

• For testing, I upgraded the client on the Windows 7 machine to 5.1.134 and the package still works perfectly. I've still had no luck with the Windows 10 machines. The package was sequenced on Windows 10.

Watching process monitor, it doesn't even look at the "ComputerName" value I have set in the Virtual Registry. In Windows 7 it does.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:15 PM
  • what is the Windows 10 build?

windows 10 1703 /1709/1803 are using built-in container to handle the virtual registry instead of the traditional AppV virtual registry handler. but after one of the update rollup(I can't recall which build) Microsoft switch back to the old AppV registry handler. just make sure your windows 10 is up to date.

if it still not working, paste your package here for further debugging.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Help me understand the scenario. 

You are intentionally setting ActiveComputerName inside the package?  Is this because you are trying to trick a vendor licensing into thinking the machine name is the same when you deploy to the client as what was sequenced (only for clients that have a legitimate license only, of course)?

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Friday, June 15, 2018 4:50 PM
  • The version of Windows 10 is 1803.

Tim, yes that is technically correct. The software depends on a specific computer name. Which in this case is "COMPUTER10". What makes this hard is that we now have a virtual desktop environment and I would like to avoid having to continue supporting this one physical machine. It would also be very hard to just get one of the virtual desktops running with that name in XenDesktop. So the idea is that whoever sits at this specific scanner station can use the app without it being also locked to one specific user's desktop.
    Sunday, June 17, 2018 12:23 PM
  • OK. 

Because a procmon trace doesn't see the value being read, I would guess that this is a Windows 10 thing and not an App-V one -- but that is a guess.

Two ways to test.  1) Use a tool like API SPY (or similar) to see what the API calls are looking for the computer name; compare against Win7.  2) Try a native install of app on Win10, change the registry item without rebooting and test.

Possible solution: Try setting compatibility mode on the exe to Windows 7.  This can be done during monitoring mode on the sequencer and it will be respected inside the package.

Tim

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Sunday, June 17, 2018 1:04 PM
  • Was this issue ever resolved?  I am having the same problem with a specific application needing to activate by Computer name.  When packaged, the app tries to continuously activate.  It would save me the need of having extra servers to host this small application package.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 1:59 PM
  • I don't know.

But generally speaking, my preference is to deal with application licensing issues by using publishing scripts.  The publishing script just licenses the product just as if you installed it on the client machine.

When it comes to the computer name of the sequenced machine, the sequencer wants to variablize any reference to the computer name in registry strings. This can be defeated by manually editing the virtual registry and replacing the variable with the original name that you'd like.  

If the name is stored inside a file, App-V isn't likely to notice the computer name (way back in time it looked inside of INI files for strings to variablinze, but not any more.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:48 PM