Alerts for when Permissions change. RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to setup an alert to fire off if someone changes permissions on a site or document library?
    Kevin
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

Maybe you can take another approach: build an alternate way for users to change the permissions of an item. When the user applies the permissions (using the UI you've built), you can trigger an event, or start a workflow. Whereas, it may require some code.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, June 3, 2011 3:39 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:36 AM

All replies

•  

Hi GSO_admin76,

By default, alter can’t track permission changes. Whereas, you can use SharePoint auditing to monitor permission changes. It will track permission changes down to item level. For the detailed information, please refer to the following article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/sharepointgeneral/thread/565171ef-92f7-4d9f-b3cb-1d9394873322

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Rock, Thanks for the reply I know I can audit the events but that takes manual intervention of trying to run the reports and then sift through all the data.  I am looking for any solution 3 party or built in that would all me to alert on permission changes to sites lists, or document libraries.  We do have SCOM I was thinking we might be able to figure out a way to use that to alert me, but I am still in the researching phase.
    Kevin
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Maybe you can take another approach: build an alternate way for users to change the permissions of an item. When the user applies the permissions (using the UI you've built), you can trigger an event, or start a workflow. Whereas, it may require some code.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, June 3, 2011 3:39 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:36 AM