Voice & Signalling Paths in Hosted Lync-to-O365 Scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, - Need to clarify the end user connectivity for voice and signalling in the following scenario:

• Lync Windows client deployed on user's PC in office
    • Lync 2010 Servers (Edge, Pool, SQL, Medeation etc.) hosted by a hosting company (Enterprise Voice)
    • Exchange UM hosted by Microsoft Online (Office 365 E3 Plan)

Assume public internet is the only way for the user to connect to O365 - can the user connect to the hosting company via a different WAN i.e. leased line / MPLS / other peering connectivity?

Also assume public internet is the only way for the hosting company to integrate their Lync with O365 Exchange UM / Outlook?

Could do with a workload schema for this scenario really - anyone point me in the right direction?

Rob Parker, - NOISE Telecom

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:36 PM

Answers

• Signaling and media for lync will handled exactly as if the user is a remote user, i.e. they connect through the Edge. Unless you have some other arrangement whereby a point to point connection exists between the customer and the hosting company. If you do have a different WAN connection and don't want to use the Internet then certainly it is possible you will just have to ensure that DNS and routing is setup correctly. With such a "direct" connection the users could behave as though they are internal and just connect directly the FE pool.

As for UM this is not any different either. It will all be done via the Edge servers.

In short I think the topology seems unusual and possibly complex when you first think about but I don't think it is.

• Marked as answer by Katapult99 Friday, August 24, 2012 12:05 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 3:34 AM