none
Project Pro 2010 - Various Crashing + Features disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Project Professional 2010 // Version 14.0.6123.5001 (32-bit)

I'm a master scheduler and create large projects for my client.  They are simple plans (no macros & not using sub-projects or external links), but lengthy.

1) ERROR # 1 - CRASH AT SAVE / MEMORY ERROR

Project crashes regularly when I try to save receiving the memory error ("There is not enough physical memory to complete the operation").  Thus losing all of my work.  I've had everything else closed and taken a screen shot of my task manager during the error - CPU Usage 1% & Physical Memory 38%.  What is causing this?

2) ERROR #2 - CRASH MID-UPDATE

Project will crash at random and will create an "abstract art" (small boxes of multiple colors) or duplicate/triplicate lines sort of look across my screen.  I'm unable to save or do anything except close it, reboot, and start all over - again losing all work.

3) ERROR #3 - UNABLE TO CREATE COLUMNS

I've uninstalled and re-installed MS Project to try to fix the above errors and ran into MORE errors.  This time I'm unable to create new columns or if I do manage to get a column to appear, the drop down appears and covers the entire screen and I'm unable to make it choose a selection.

This is now costing me quite severely with my client as 1 & 2 have been going on for months and having to recreate inputs multiple times is not fun for me or for the client.  The 3rd has only occurred since uninstall/reinstall - also scroll disappeared & drag & drop, but was able to find/fix those.

Please help!!

~A~

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:06 PM

All replies

• CCBears,

First, it not apparent that you have SP1 installed. Go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, download and install it.

For the third item, make sure you have the option set to "edit directly in cell". That may not be the cause but it doesn' hurt to verify that you have that option set (File/options/Advanced/Edit group)

You say that you have very large files but that term is relative. Just for a point of reference, how may tasks? Does your file contain embedded images or other "extra" data that may cause things to bog down?

Are you in a Project Server environment or is this a stand alone installation? If server, you might want to post to the server forum at, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general.

Overall however, the randomness of your issues might point to file corruption. You might want to try one or more of the applicable methods found in FAQ 43 - handling project file corruption and/or bloat, on the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm.

We can start with these items and then go from there as necessary.

John

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

I only have experienced your #3. Try to make a new account on your computer and run Project from there to see what improves; the #3 (and other woes) went away from there.

Greetings,

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Hi John,

Regarding #1 & #2 - STILL CRASHING

Thanks for your quick feedback.

I did download SP1 yesterday and still incur these issues.

The MPP File that I'm currently working on is about 4000 tasks.  No 'extras', no fancy-work, no external connections, no images, no graphics, no macros, etc - very 'vanilla'.  Both of these crash options have occurred with various files (no similar background or base file).  I've tried doing a 'copy-paste' into a new document with the same results.  The #2 form of crash does tend to happen after I've been in the file for awhile <1-2 hrs+> (this happens often as I could be working in them all day at times).

As mentioned, this is Project Professional 2010 and not project server.

#3 - FIXED!  Thanks! :-)  I knew if the rest of those little oddities were a selection, that it's probably easy, but couldn't figure it out.

• Edited by CCBears Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:49 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:18 PM
  • CCBears,

You mentioned copy/paste but did you try the other applicable methods in FAQ 43? If not, try them.

Beyond that you might have a corrupt user profile. I think Jan's reply addresses that possibility.

Glad we at least got one of the items fixed.

John

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Let me preface this with saying that these crashes have occurred with every MS Project Pro 2010 download - I've gone through 3 Hard Drives and re-imaging with a clean download.  These crashes still occur.  Do I need more memory or something?!  I do not have the authority to "create a new account" - I can have it reimaged and/or replace the hard drive, but as this has already occurred multiple times, with the same outcome, I'm guessing this is not the issue.

Since you keep pointing to FAQ 43 - I'll respond to those specifically:

• Method 1 - when this started happening, I now save ALL the time especially right after I open the file - I use save as to today's date and save about every 20 min with a new file name so if/when it crashes, I have a recent copy and don't loose too much.
    • Method 2 - not applicable
    • Method 3 - done, will see if it still crashes?!
    • Method 4 - didn't work<//span>
    • Method 5 - I have no idea how to do this?!
    Friday, August 31, 2012 5:15 AM
  • CCBears,

I don't really think your problems are related to your PC configuration, although I suppose it is possible. A 4000 task schedule isn't really that large and certainly waaaaay below Project's specifications (i.e. 1 million tasks). I work with Project on an iMac running a PC emulator. My computer isn't "tricked" out with a super fast processor or huge amounts of memory. Last December I worked on a Project master file that was over 20K tasks with no issues.

I have not experienced a user profile issue like Jan has so I don't have first hand experience with profile issues. I'm not really sure what re-imaging does but it sounds like it would address any user profile problems. But if re-imaging doesn't do the equivalent of giving you a complete fresh start, then there could still be an issue.

Let us know if FAQ 43 method 3 made any difference. Your current process of saving often may be your best way of avoiding problems if we can't help find a more direct solution. Method 5 is a last resort process. I've never actually tried it myself, its' a lot of work and is essentially an automation of manually re-building a file.

John

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:16 PM
  • CC Bears,

I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue?  Same problem happen on another machine? Run something like SpinRite on the disk to repair fault disk sectors?

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Which hardware do you think it might be (if HDD, see below)?  What can I do to test that theory?  Where can I get SpinRite?

This is my 3rd hard drive - issue has occurred on all 3 with fresh load of ms project each time - the rest of the laptop components are the same.

• Edited by CCBears Saturday, September 1, 2012 4:29 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 4:28 AM
  • I'm pretty sure there is nothing in Microsoft Project that will kill a hard drive. It's telling that this is your third hard drive. What is it that caused you to get new drives? A fresh load each time on a new disk of Microsoft Project isn't going to have much effect, I suspect, and your experience has shown that. The machine needs a fresh load of the full Windows operating system as provided by Microsoft and not a copy of what is perhaps a flawed image. 

Hardware fails. Laptops fail faster than desktops. As it's a laptop it is possible that the motherboard could be cracked, a small solder joint has failed, memory has failed, fans clogged so overheats, ... the list goes on.  If the disk is flawed and when the operating system writes to flawed areas of the disk, you'll get problems.

I guess the way I would test the theory is to switch to a completely different machine.

I have had good luck over the years using SpinRite (easily to find with a quick Google search, or go direct to www.grc.com/spinrite) to recover and sometimes repair disks which looked to be beyond repair but are not. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:04 AM
  • What version of Windows and do you have the latest Service Pack installed for it?

How much memory do you have?

How much Free Disk space do you have? You need a minimum of 10% free space to avoid temporary files grinding Windows to a standstill.

As Rob says, if there is a memory or disk fault and you download a new image, the image may not be good. Safest is a fresh install of Windows then your Apps.

Project 2010 is pretty robust so there is likely to be a reason for your crashes. At this stage I suspect we need to try and eliminate what it isn't and work from there.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Monday, September 3, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Hello CCBears,

I would suggest you eliminate the possibility of Graphics h/w failure by testing the issue on a computer with a different graphics card etc...

Have you created the files using Project 2010 or an earlier version, e.g. Project 2003 ? 

What is the language of the product and mpp files ?

Regards.

Monday, September 3, 2012 7:44 AM