none
windows information protection (WIP) vs RMS RRS feed

• Question

• Last days I tested Windows 10 1607 and windows information protection (WIP) with SCCM current branch. I am wondering about WIP usage in real enterprise environment, especially file encryption (based on EFS). In enterprise most of the documents must be shared between workers, so if I created new document and it will be secured by WIP (EFS encrypted) no one can open it. If I want to send such document via email (EFS encrypted) I probably must first changed it to personal from work, am I right?

Also for me Rights Management Services is much more configurable and has more granular options for security. I cannot find anywhere comparison of these two technologies...

Sunday, November 6, 2016 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi bbelko,

Here are links for reference of WIP(windows information protection) and RMS(Rights Management Services).
    Introducing Windows Information Protection
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/06/29/introducing-windows-information-protection/
    Active Directory Rights Management Services Overview
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771627(v=ws.11).aspx

"If I want to send such document via email (EFS encrypted) I probably must first changed it to personal from work, am I right?"
    According to my understanding, there is no need to change its type to send the email if you send the document to an authority user. If you want to send the documents to  an authority user, we should change the document type.

For comparing them, "WIP"(windows information protection) is based on the MDM policy while RMS(Rights Management Services) is based on the certificates. WIP(windows information protection) is now a feature included in Windows 10.1607 version. We should install RMS client on the clients. These are my understanding of the two features. I hope it will be useful to you. For more information about these two features, please refer to the links I have posted before.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 2:31 AM
  • WIP is also based on certificates - as I wrote (and tested) it encrypt files using EFS (encryption file system) which is based on certificates.

Monday, November 7, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Hi bbelko,

Due to the limited working environment, it is not available for me to test this. All my knowledge is from the links above. I hope it will be useful to you, too.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:34 AM