Where is the RHEL6 tarball for SCCM? RRS feed

Answers

• The install script is the file named 'install' that shows in Windows-side screenshot in your original post.  What you are finding in the OMI subfolders in the screenshots above is the OMI specific install script -- that script will be invoked by the overall install script, but it's not what you want to start with. Get the install script that shows in the Windows-side screenshot, and make sure to chmod +x it when you copy to your Linux systems. :-)

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:22 PM

All replies

• It appears that the tarball filenames include the lowest supported version number, but are also applicable to higher versions. So there is no specific file for RHEL 6.

UNIX/Linux Client:
    The following UNIX and Linux versions are supported in this release.
    • AIX Version 5.3, 6.1, 7.1
    • Solaris Version 9, 10, 11
    • HP-UX Version 11iv2 , 11iv3
    • RHEL Version 4, 5, 6
    • SLES Version 9, 10, 11
    • CentOS Version 5, 6
    • Debian Version 5, 6
    • Ubuntu Version 10.04 LTS, 12.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS
    • Oracle Linux 5, 6

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:22 PM
  • From what I recall when in the Configuration Manager product group, the cross platform team was moving to more of a "Universal" client as much as possible. So unless there was a specific 'agent' for the OS you are looking for, then you would use the Universal one.

Wally Mead

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:43 PM
  • I'm curious if anyone has actually done this?   I've attempted using the RHEL4 and the Universal tarballs and there isn't an install script included that takes the arguments as specified in the install instructions (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj573939.aspx#BKMK_ToInstallLnUClinent).   I am unable to find anything that actually works to install anything seeming like a client.

Colin Hines

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:09 PM
  • The install script is the file named 'install' that shows in Windows-side screenshot in your original post.  What you are finding in the OMI subfolders in the screenshots above is the OMI specific install script -- that script will be invoked by the overall install script, but it's not what you want to start with. Get the install script that shows in the Windows-side screenshot, and make sure to chmod +x it when you copy to your Linux systems. :-)

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Here is the install command line I used when I did the Linux client hands-on lab while in the product group. Of course, you'd change the target site code, and well as the MP FQDN, but it works in the virtual lab up on TechNet.

./install –mp primary1.configmgrdom.local –sitecode MCM ccm-Universalx64.1.0.0.4580.tar

Wally Mead

Friday, August 1, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Thanks, Michael.  That fixed it, I am able to move forward.

Points to note for packaging and clearer documentation

The originally downloaded executable is an exe, so must be exploded on a Windows host and then have the specific tar sent over.  I completely missed the install script due to that (if it's all for nix, why is it packaged as an exe?)

Cutting and pasting the command line to install from the documentation on MS's site uses the wrong dash character; documentation that has commands that could possibly be pasted into the shell should probably be done in a font that is able to be successfully pasted into a shell.

The ccm-RHEL4 tarball doesn't work on RHEL6, throws an architecture error.

Multiple places mention specific tarballs for rhel5 and 6, including this one on the download page:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36212.  If the archive is updated to migrate certain specific OS's to the Universal client, it would be best to update the docs as well.

Note: The UNIX/Linux Client Build Version can be determined from the filename of the client package tar file. For example in the case of the filename ccm-RHEL6x86.1.0.0.4014.tar, the Client Build Version is 1.0.0.4014.

Thanks again for your help.

Friday, August 1, 2014 8:18 PM
  • If you are good, please then do mark the thread as answered, so that we know you are good to go and can stop monitoring this thread :-)

Wally Mead

Friday, August 1, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Thanks!
    Friday, August 1, 2014 8:28 PM