none
Child Domains And Login Script Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all.

I am looking for some advice or explanation rather with regards to a domain and child domain setup I have.

I have 2 domains as follows  top level domain test.com  and child domain called child.test.com

child.test.com is used for students and all is fine in that domain when logging onto pcs in that domain.

User have login scripts attached to their AD profile which creates drives for them.

I came across and interesting find when logging on as a student account belonging to child.test.com on a computer belonging to test.com domain.

The login script didn't run at all yet the same account works fine with all mapped drives working fine on a pc in the child.test.com domain.

If I assign a mapped drive on the actual ad account section it works fine but not via script.

After a month or so of playing around i finally got it to work by choosing the append the following DNS suffixes on my network card.

I added test.com and child.test.com

I wanted to find out if this is how it works by design or if there is something incorrect.

Can i use the DHCP option 135 to add suffixes to all clients to get around this issue ?

Many thanks.

Shaun 

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

The search suffix is used by the client side resolver to “suffix” a DNS query.

For example, if I were to ping a hostname called “serverName,” if a search suffix has been configured, whether automatically (being joined to a domain), or manually (variety of methods discussed below), it will “suffix” the search suffix to my query.

For example, if there is a suffix configured for “domain.com,” and I type in “ping serverName,” the resulting query will be “serverName.domain.com.” If there is no suffix, it will just ping the single name.

By default, a freshly installed machine, out of the box, has no Suffixes created.

When you join a machine to an Active Directory domain, the machine takes on the domain’s DNS FQDN as the Primary DNS Suffix. The Primary DNS Suffix also becomes the default Search Suffix, and will apply to all interfaces on the machine.

Please refer to the following article for more detailed about DNS search list.

Configuring DNS Search Suffixes

https://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2011/02/12/configuring-dns-search-suffixes/

Furthermore, DHCP options 132-136 are not default options.  But you can create these non-default DHCP options:

1. Click "Start", point to "Administrative Tools" and then click "DHCP".
    2. Right-click the DHCP server, and then click "Set Predefined Options".
    3. Click "Add".
    4. Type options' name, option code, select a Data Type such as IP address
    or String, if the data type is binary or encapsulated, you should select
    the Array option.
    5. Click OK and then go to Server Options or Scope options to configure the
    option.

Or you GPO:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778792(WS.10).aspx

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards, 

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Good day Michael.

Many thanks for your reply much appreciated.

So the reason why users from the child.test.com cant receive drives via login script when logging into computers belonging to the test.com domain (because of no suffix for that child domain)  is normal ?

Thanks

Friday, April 20, 2018 1:56 PM