SP Online PWA, Project Online and Project Pro app - how they fit together and how to use RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have the fun job to configure SP Online PWA and implement Project Online app (part of MS365) and Project Pro (Windows app) so they work together.

Any one to help understand how all this fit together because:

1. Projects created in SP Online PWA stay there, but some of the projects cannot add SP site - some can... The security is handled by SP

2. Project online creates projects, but seems keep them in Project online - cannot download, share and collaborate on them

3. Project Pro app (Windows) creates project files (.mpp) but again only people having Project Pro are able to open the .mpp files. Project Online or SP PWA will not know about .mpp files...

So completely hoe to use above and with all that cloud technology - seems they are totally isolated, despite being "Project" Microsoft products.

Do we need many PWA SP sites - i.e. per project, or one PWA SP site per organisation and all projects there have their own subsides off PWA?

How do I work between Project Online and Project Pro (Windows)? As the projects from each is not recognised by the other...

Which one to use when? Can i mix them? I.e. Can i create a project in Project Online and then open it with Project Pro and then upload to SP PWA (and create sub-site for it)so can be shared with the rest of PMs?

Can someone give me pointers or point me to some useful material to read - the stuff from MS does not help me at all!!

As you see I'm not a Project Manager, but MS365 admin :-(

Many thanks in advance!

Thursday, October 15, 2020 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Quite a lot of questions here, and bascally if I were you I would start by having an overall Project presentation by either MS or a MS Partner. That being said, I'll try to give you some insights.

Project Online proposes a web access (PWA) and a desktop client (MS Project Pro). Once MS Project is connected to PWA, users (with appropriate licences and permissions) can create/update/read projects both from the web access (PWA) and the desktop app (MS Project). Projects are stored in the O365 database in MS cloud, so you have no MPP files accessible that you can send by email. In terms of profiles, MS Project Pro is aimed to be used to edit, create projects by PMO, project managers. PWA is more intented to be used by managers for reporting purpose (capacity, portfolio) an team members for task progress (timesheets).

That behing said, Project Online is integrated with O365, meaning you can collaborate on projects through sharepoint, Teams, PowerBI...

About Sharepoint, PWA is actually a sharepoint application, so it is deeply integrated, but it should be configured. You can configure SP site templates, associated them with project types, and each time a project is created you can choose to create an associated SP site. You can also as per your need have global sharepoint sites, not related to the projects.

You can start from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/project/project-management-software?market=us

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, October 15, 2020 11:36 AM