Microsoft RMS SDK 4.2 for Android source code RRS feed

• Question

• The Microsoft RMS SDK 4.2 for Android is available for download as a jar file on https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=43673.

Is the source code for the same available anywhere for use directly?

The SDK internally uses SQLite databases and shared preferences, both of which can be extracted easily from within the app sandbox. I plan to modify the SDK to use SQLCipher databases and encrypted shared preferences instead.

A sample app using RMS SDK is available in GitHub at https://github.com/AzureAD/rms-sdk-ui-for-android. But that too uses the RMS SDK as a jar.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Akhay,

I've checked in with the developers on this SDK and have the following for you as response:

Regarding your question about source access - We do not ship the source code for our mobile SDKs currently.

Regarding your question about SQL - The information within the SQL lite is encrypted or the shared preference (depending on the Android OS version). Adding Secure SQL will no way add any additional protection to the SDK. The encryption Key used to encrypt the data storage is stored within the Key Store if that is compromised there is nothing even the OS can do to protect data.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce Perler MSFT

• Marked as answer by Akshay Dugar Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:44 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Akshay,

Thanks for your question. I'm forwarding this to one of our RMS developer team members for their response.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce Perler MSFT

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

Any update on this?

Thanks.

Friday, October 21, 2016 5:50 PM
  • Hi Akhay,

I've checked in with the developers on this SDK and have the following for you as response:

Regarding your question about source access - We do not ship the source code for our mobile SDKs currently.

Regarding your question about SQL - The information within the SQL lite is encrypted or the shared preference (depending on the Android OS version). Adding Secure SQL will no way add any additional protection to the SDK. The encryption Key used to encrypt the data storage is stored within the Key Store if that is compromised there is nothing even the OS can do to protect data.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce Perler MSFT

• Marked as answer by Akshay Dugar Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:44 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for the answer Bruce.

Really appreciate your help.

Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:44 AM