none
Enterprise fields RRS feed

• Question

• I am running MS Project Server 2010 and I added an enterprise custom field with a lookup table in PWA.  When I log on to MS Project and connect to the server I can acess the new enterprise field and select a value from the lookup table.  I open a schedule that is saved to my computer and connect to the server.  I can add the field into the schedule and populate the field from the lookup table.  I have this schedule back out to my computer.  I then open up the schedule on my computer and don't connect to the server.  The field is still in my schedule, however, it has no data in it and the lookup table appears empty.  Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks,

Casey

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This is by design as the lookup table definitions and values are not saved in the local files. If you save a project from the server as a local file using the save as a file option the dialog will state something like lookup table definitions and values will not be saved.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:56 PM
  • Casey,

This is by design, when you save a local copy of the project file. the enterprise lookup values will NOT be saved. You could save other enterprise data like tables, filters etc., but not lookup values.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Casey Marx Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This is by design as the lookup table definitions and values are not saved in the local files. If you save a project from the server as a local file using the save as a file option the dialog will state something like lookup table definitions and values will not be saved.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:56 PM
  • Casey,

This is by design, when you save a local copy of the project file. the enterprise lookup values will NOT be saved. You could save other enterprise data like tables, filters etc., but not lookup values.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Casey Marx Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Paul, Thanks for clueing me in. I was just so sure it worked that I never even noticed the wording in the file save as file dialog box. It doesn't make sense that Microsoft would intentially do that. If I create a local custom field using the Outline Code fields I can create a lookup table and you are able to see the dropdown and values previously selected both when working off-line and when connected to the server, so I don't understand why the Enterprise lookup values wouldn't work the same way. I guess I need to figure out a work around, maybe using the local Outline Codes. Thanks, Casey
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:54 PM