none
deploying windows 10 public access/kiosk machines help RRS feed

• Question

• We have windows 10 Pro but not enterprise.  We would like to deploy about half a dozen public machines that are used and locked down so that the public can access our website features.  If we need to get enterprise for this to work let me know and ill let management know this is what we need to make this work.

I've read about setting up kiosk mode for windows 10 but we can't use assigned access is going to work since we dont have enterprise.  Are there a set of group policies to lock a computer down so the public cant screw it up but we can also keep it up to date with windows update?

We do have sccm so if there is a way to build a custom image i would be ok with that as well.  Should these computers be domain joined or workgroup joined?  I did see a video about creating kiosk devices on an ignite 2015 video but i don't know how they did it or if its even up to date anymore.

Thanks!

Monday, February 13, 2017 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your understanding is correct, for website feature, I think Enterprise edition can provide more services, because Pro edition’s kiosk device can only use Universal Windows apps, while Enterprise and Education can use Classic Windows applications. In general, website feature needs to be access by browsers, and most of the browsers are classic apps.

There is an official documentation introduces Set up a kiosk on Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education, please refer to it for more information.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/set-up-a-kiosk-for-windows-10-for-desktop-editions

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Are there any group policies to lock down a computer similar to what we were previously using with windows steady state?
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:46 PM
  • Would windows embedded be a better solution?
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:45 PM
  • My goal is to create a public machine in which all they can do is access our website and print things from it including pdf documents.

How to i lock the system down in a way that they cant do anything?  I played with setting the shell to IE in kiosk mode which works but i can still get to a command prompt simply by going to print and then choosing find printer which opens a windows explorer menu then i can browse to system32 and launch command prompt from there at which point i can start opening applications and whatever else.

steadystate seemed to do a pretty good job of this but there no longer exists an easy way to set all those restrictions.

if this isnt the best forum to place this question let me know where would be best to ask. 

Thanks!

• Edited by ventura_Ace Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:30 PM edit
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:23 PM
  • Yes, for your demand, Windows Embedded can be a choice.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot

Besides, SteadyState is gone, just some software can provide the functionality of steadystate in Windows 10.

I search online and find out a link, you might be interested in

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-steadystate-alternatives-for-windows-7

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Can you try (UWP version) browser apps from the store and configure them to Assigned Access, with the website you want user to access? Or you can develop your own UWP app with a browser control always navigating to your website, with printing function added. 

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:28 PM
  • The million dollar question is how you are planning to manage these kiosks? Are you planning to remotely or locally manage them? Do you need to lock down the browser completely or are you OK with users entering URLs in the address bar? What is your timeline?
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:33 PM
  • I could manage them locally but we have sccm and i administer that so id like to use sccm if possible.  the browser should access our website and nothing else.  timeline is before January 2018.  I read 1703 had some kiosk mode thing built in which was new, not sure what thats all about yet.
    Friday, May 12, 2017 12:07 AM