none
calculating work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are implementing PS2010 for the first time and are having a hard time understanding how the duration and work fields are calculated. 

Apparently the formaula is: duration * peak units = work  where peak units is the number of resources assigned. 

A couple of points:

1.We're not using assignment units as not everyone will have access to the professional client

2.shouldn't this factor in working hours per day instead of assuming an 8 hour workday?

3.We've setup the project calendar to be for 6 hours per day.

4.In the project file options section, we set the hours per day to be six and the default start time to be 9am and default end time to be 4pm. I hour unpaid lunch.

Based on this I would expect that one person working a 6 hour day for a one day task would give us six hours of work in the Work field. Instead, PS2010 is entering 8 hours! For two resources it enters 16 hours.

And then,  to make things even more confusing.  I change the duration value to be 2 days and instead of making the Work field value have 32 hours (2*2*8) it gives the duration a value of 1.81 days!

I should mention that this is an auto-task.

I'm sorry but I can't find any consistent explanation for how PS2010 calculates the various fields.

Any help is appreciated as we have to explain this behaviour to our client and some of them are already resistant to using a new tool.

Thank you,

• Edited by willow1044a Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:27 AM

Answers

• OK, figured it out. 

The issue is that we are using PWA in lieu of professional client.  For what we want to be doing we should be using assignment units and automatic tasks.  Manually adjusting the work value and then setting the task to auto doesn't work as the scheduling formula simply over-writes our work value. 

Once I opened the project up in the client and set the assignment units the system started behaving as expected.

• Marked as answer by willow1044a Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:41 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:40 PM

All replies

• OK, figured it out. 

The issue is that we are using PWA in lieu of professional client.  For what we want to be doing we should be using assignment units and automatic tasks.  Manually adjusting the work value and then setting the task to auto doesn't work as the scheduling formula simply over-writes our work value. 

Once I opened the project up in the client and set the assignment units the system started behaving as expected.

• Marked as answer by willow1044a Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:41 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:40 PM
  • willow1044a --

Thanks for letting is know the source of the problem.  What you have discovered about PWA is even one more reason why I simply do not recommend trying to use the Project Center page in PWA to plan and manage projects.  If you stick with using the Microsoft Project client to plan and manage your project, you will have a much greater chance of success.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, December 7, 2012 2:57 AM