Cannot save any file from Firefox or IE RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Win 7 for more than a year.  I have always been able to right click on an item (image, link) in a web page, select Save (Image, Link) As, select the file location and name and click OK in the Save As dialog. 

Late last week, each time the Save As dialog opened, the browser would crash.  This happens with Firefox 6.02, IE8 and IE9.  It also happens with I print to Adobe's PDF printer from either browser.  Using the convert to PDF button in IE9 works fine and if I open a PDF link in a new tab/window, I can save it from there using Acrobat's toolbar. 

I suspect it is a Windows problem since it occurs on two different machines, both running Win 7 Pro, SP1 with all updates installed.  I have scanned both machines for malware and none was found on either.  I use Firefox about 99% of the time and right now I have a workaround for everything except printing to a PDF.  Anyone else seeing this behavior or have an idea of what might be going on?

Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:12 PM

Answers

• Rather than a claen install, try system Restore to a date when the system was working.

Jerry

• Marked as answer by CSchleter Monday, September 12, 2011 1:24 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:49 PM

All replies

• This seems unlikely, but have you disabled the display of Favorites in Explorer by tweaking the registry?  It is possible that under that condition the default folder of the File - Save dialog can be pointed to places that will crash Explorer (and thus your app).

Can you download something from the 'net, then choose another location to save it in?  That can change the default folder you'll see when attempting File - Save As.

Does it also fail if you create another user and log in as this other user?

-Noel

Friday, September 9, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Noel

Thanks for the suggestions.

Explorer does not crash - only the application that is trying to save the file crashes and it ONLY happens when the web is involved - I can Save As from any other application (Word, Acrobat, etc). 

I right click on the object, select Save As from the context menu, the Save As dialog appears, the busy cursor spins and the application shuts down.  In the case of FF, I get the usual Mozilla Crash Reporter dialog.  I have tried changing the default download directory in FF but no change.  I know the default Save As folder is valid - it is the folder I save the object in after going through the workaround of copying the item to another program (eg., image to PaintShop Pro) and saving it from there.  The biggest problem is printing PDF files from web pages since I have to use IE in order to do the Convert to Acrobat (which also works).

I can't select another location - when the Save As dialog appears, the controls on that dialog are disabled.

I doubt it is user related - it happens on two different machines (same applications) with different user names and different default directories.  It started at about the same time on both machines.

If there's any additional information I can provide, I'm happy to do so.

Chris Schleter
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:49 PM
  • I can only ask, then, what it is that you have in common between the two machines.  Something you've installed in both places maybe?

-Noel

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:52 PM
  • The two machines are basically the same (as much the same as 2 Windows machines can be).  I just looked at the event log and nothing was installed when this started.  It was fine on Thursday and did not work at all on Friday. That's what's weird about it.  There's always the clean install option but I really don't have 3 days to re-install all of the apps and updates after I do it.  Maybe I'll just have to live with it until I have more time to do a more thorough analysis.
    Chris Schleter
    Friday, September 9, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Rather than a claen install, try system Restore to a date when the system was working.

Jerry

• Marked as answer by CSchleter Monday, September 12, 2011 1:24 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Jerry

Thanks for the suggestion - the simple answer is usually the best one.

Did a restore on both machines.  Turned out that Rapport had done an update without asking permission.  I suspect this was the problem.  I would just get rid of it but my bank requires it in order to access online banking...  The joys of Internet security!

Chris Schleter
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:28 AM