locked
Windows Update Failures Error 126 When starting up Auto Updates Service RRS feed

  • Question

  • Windows Update service appears to have been corrupted by a rootkit which was removed. However I am unable to restore WU using the FixIt 50202: Service Failed to Start- Verify You have sufficient privliges. If I attempt to manually start Automatic Updates I get a error 126: Specified Module could not be found.

    Not sure how to proceed from here and the FixIt wizard has no suggestions.

    Monday, October 17, 2011 2:35 PM

All replies

  • download and install windows update agent from here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104 

     


    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:49 AM
  • I had the same problem recently. My case may be a little different than yours, but here is what I found/did. What tipped me off something was wrong was when I went to use MSE (microsoft security essentials) to scan a file, I usually check to make sure I have latest database. Saw the database was a few days old. When I went to update it wouldn't do it, gave me error code 0x80080005. I then tried to run windows update but it wouldn't work either, kept giving me errors. I tried Fixit 50202 like you did and got the same error message about not being an administrator. While doing my research found that to run windows update (which also controls MSE getting updates) on XP SP3 you need 5 services running (listed below). When I opened up services.msc and here is what I found: Automatic Updates was not started. BITS was started. COM+ Event System was started. CryptSvc was started. Event Log was started. When I checked the Automatic Update service noticed under Recovery tab that all failure retrys were set to "take no action". I changed them to "restart service". That did not fix the problem though, still got error 126. So you could skip that part perhaps. While poking around a little more found someone else talking about it and one of the MS techs recommended running netsh winsock reset I wanted to see any error messages so used Windows Powershell to open a command prompt window, but a start->run cmd window should work too. After it ran it said I needed to restart so I did, and that fixed the problem! Automatic updates service started up, MSE downloaded its updates, and now I'm running windows update and it downloaded a bunch of fixes for .NET frameworks which are installing while I type this. Hope this fixes your problem too.
    • Edited by eric2084 Friday, December 30, 2011 8:59 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 8:54 AM
  • hi

    i cant understand what you have done to fix your problem.

    please explan for me

    tanks

    Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:45 AM