Outlook 2016 zip file bug? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Just come across what seems to be a bug. When you have preview pane enabled on file explorer you get the following error when trying to view multiple pdfs from a zip archive in Outlook 2016 365. The specific issue occurs when you don't first extract the archive, and Outlook just uses it's temporary location. The moment you disable preview pane it works fine.

Any thoughts on why or a fix? it seems that the preview creates a lock on the archive, and therefore can't open another zipped file from within the archive.....

Cheers, Doug.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

What’s the detailed version of Outlook 2016?

I tried to test this on my side (Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.4849.1000).

1. In the message, I double click the .zip file.

2. In this window, I choose “Open”

3. Select the pdf file to preview it. I didn’t get the error as yours.

Same behavior when I tested on Outlook 365 client (version 1911).

If you download .zip file to local folder and preview it in File Explorer, will same error appear?

When opening attachment, Outlook will save a temp file to Temporary Outlook Files folder. In case there is something g wrong with his folder, please try deleting items this folder to see if it helps.

The default location is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Outlook.

Delete all files in it. (If you are afraid of data lose, we can move all files to a different folder)

If error also occurs when you download it to a local folder, check this article: Windows cannot complete the extraction error in Windows 10/8/7

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi Perry.

My client and I are on Office 365 MSO 16.0.12130.20272 64 bit. The client logged a case with me and I could immediately replicate the issue on my PC, so it is not about the Outlook temp cache (I cleared this out already). The error occurs when you try to double click (open) more than pdf from the archive - the moment you close the preview pane, you can open as many as you want. I know that they can download and extract it, and it will work fine, but this takes time ...and my main point was to show that there seems to be a bug!

Regards, Doug.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Hi Doug,

Was my step above same as yours?

I checked on Outlook 365 MSO (16.0.12228.20072). Double click .zip file and open PDf files. Windows show "No preview available" in preview pane. I can also double click to open the pdf files whenever the preview pane is on or off.

One difference here is I didn't installed Adobe on my computer. I use Edge to open PDF files.

If your steps are different, please share with me so that I can test again. 

>>The client logged a case with me and I could immediately replicate the issue on my PC, 

What do you mean by "logged a case with me"?

For Office 365, I'd like to recommend you use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) to run tests to resolve many different problemsFor more details, please refer to this link.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:45 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi Perry. This seems to be a bug with the combination of the "preview pane" enabled and adobe reader. I uninstalled adobe reader and the error went away ...the moment I reinstalled it the error came back...
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:44 AM
  • I got a chance to test this on my side and get this error:

I installed Adobe and set it as the default app for PDF files. And this error indeed only happens when Preview Pane enabled.

In my opinion, Outlook client and Adobe may access this file at the same time and cause some conflicts. If we download it to local folder and it can be opened correctly.(without the interrupting of Outlook client) 

I’ll submit this issue internally to see if anyone has met this before. You can also contact Adobe to see if they have any ideas of this error.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, November 18, 2019 1:39 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 9:31 AM
  • agreed. thanks for your help on this.
    Friday, November 15, 2019 11:24 AM
  • agreed. thanks for your help on this.

You are welcome. If I've received any updates, I'll post back to inform you. Currently, as a workaround, we can turn off preview pane if you want to double click to check the .pdf files.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:39 AM
  • After further researching, I still haven't found related links to explain this situation. I submitted this issue internally. After discussion, we believe this could be related with the conflicting between Outlook and Adobe. I also tested again with Foxit Reader. Preview pane was not showing anything but I can open the pdf file successfully. 

So, as mentioned above, we can turn off preview pane if you want to double click to check the .pdf files (workaround).

Thank you for your understanding and support😊

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:00 AM