SBS 2003 Exchange removal pop-up about organization removal RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to demote and remove my SBS 2003 server from my domain with two existing 2008 and 2012 domain controllers.  It is recommended that the Exchange component be removed first.  I do not plan to use Exchange in the domain going forward.  

I selected Add /remove programs - Small Business server - from the list of components I chose "remove" for Exchange.  Things moved along to a pop-up stating that "the organization ACMECO will be removed from the Windows Active Directory"  

Our domain name is ACMECO.local.   Of course I am worried that I am about to destroy my ACMECO.local domain of 35 users.

This removal process cannot be cancelled.

My explicit question: will this procedure just remove Exchange and leave my ACMECO.local as it was but modified to reflect the absence of Exchange?  Or is this a horrible mess about to happen?

Thanks very much,
    Network100
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:00 AM

Answers

• Your OK. You may still need to do some AD cleanup afterwards, but removing exchange will not remove all of Active Directory.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 11:25 AM

All replies

• Your OK. You may still need to do some AD cleanup afterwards, but removing exchange will not remove all of Active Directory.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 11:25 AM
  • Larry,

Thank you for the speedy comforting reply.  All went well thanks to you. 

Have a good weekend.

Bill

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:40 PM