none
User vs Resource Assignment as Project Owner RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to establish a consistent way to break down resources as groups (list departments as single entity and scale to FTE as %).

The issue in question is how to assign project owners to a project.  Some of our PM names are available not listed as a resource but we are unable to repeat this.  How do we add new PM staff as users but not as an individual resource?

The delete enterprise object, delete resource/user page shows users that are not visible as a resource.  We are trying to recreate these user (non-resource) instances.

Thank you

Monday, July 20, 2015 5:24 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that users can log in and resources can have assignments. Some users are also resources, and some resources aren't users.

The point of a user who isn't a resource might be for an executive to log in and look at reports or something. There may be other reasons, but I'm not familiar with then.

To accomplish what you want, assigning a specific name within a project, I think you need to make the PMs resources... but why don't you try listing their FTE as 0%?

If you don't want to regularly see them in the resource center, you can create a new view that filters them out.

Ian

Monday, July 20, 2015 8:24 PM
  • JS-demo admin --

As you have figured out, users are people who use Project Server or Project Online, but who do not work on project teams.  Resources are people who work on project teams.  Assuming you are using Project Server permissions mode with your system, you can create new users by clicking the Manage Users link on the PWA Settings page.  When you create the account for the new user, you MUST deselect the User Can Be Assigned as a Resource checkbox.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 20, 2015 10:24 PM
  • It sounds like you have two questions.

What you are describing at the beginning sounds like a use case for Teams. If you can expand on your need, I may have more guidance.

As for the second, you must be in Project Server Permissions mode. Your Global Admin will need to change the permissions mode via the SharePoint administration page.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog

Monday, July 20, 2015 11:50 PM