Delay Restart for Patch Installation & Deadline Interaction RRS feed

• Question

• I would like for my WSUS-managed Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users who are logged on to be prompted to either restart now to finish installing important updates or be given the option to delay the restart (for the standard 10 minutes, 1 hour, or 4 hours).

Group policy is currently configured to install updates daily at 3:00 AM.  Also, all updates are given a deadline two weeks into the future.

Is what I'm seeking to do feasible?  Also, I'm assuming deadlines on updates will supersede the ability to postpone delays after the two week grace period is over, right?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:24 PM

Answers

• Hi lgnatius Loyola,

1. Also, I'm assuming deadlines on updates will supersede the ability to postpone delays after the two week grace period is over, right?

Yes, updates that have deadlines and require restarts will cause a forced restart at the time of the deadline, no delay. If an update has a deadline, all other policy settings are overruled by the deadline.

If you want to learn more information about client behavior with update deadline, you may click the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708585%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

2. I would like for my WSUS-managed Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users who are logged on to be prompted to either restart now to finish installing important updates or be given the option to delay the restart (for the standard 10 minutes, 1 hour, or 4 hours).

If you want to delay restart for installations, you may configure option "delay restart for installations" in GPO.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:17 AM