No sound on my laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a ACER ASPIRE ONE laptop. I recently got a virus and had to have the laptop fixed. It was reloaded with Windows XP Home Edition. I noticed that I now do not have any sound. I followed the trouble shooting directions and it led me to a web site to download the correct driver. The site showed that I needed to load the Windows XP Service Pack 3 first before I could load the correct driver. When the download was finished on the Service Pack 3 an error popped up and the driver would not download. When I looked under Device Manager it shows an yellow question mark beside Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus. When I tried to get the laptop do an automatic download for this, it shows that this device can not be found.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Skip,

In my experience not all drivers will download automatically. What you will need to do is download the driver and install manually. As you have mentioned that you checked device manager I will assume that you know how to install the driver. When you try to install your newly downloaded driver choose to manually specify the source of the driver instead of the automatic option and point it to the directory containing your driver and you should be alright.

Hope this helps,

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . Techsmart|Computer Repairs|Laptop Repairs|IT Support
    Friday, March 25, 2011 4:11 PM