Windows Update - wuaueng.dll - SUS20ClientDataStore Maximum Size Reached RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Recently I've been getting an error in my administrative events event log related to wuaueng.dll

wuaueng.dll (604) SUS20ClientDataStore: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 32Mb. It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back. 
    Possible long-running transaction: 
    	SessionId: 0x0000000000F104A0 
    	Session-context: 0x00000000 
    	Session-context ThreadId: 0x0000000000001700 
    	Cleanup: 1

I have no idea how to resolve this issue. Since this issue has started in Process Explorer the svchost.exe that houses wuauend.dll baloons to about 370-410Mb of Private, and 340-360MB of Working Set anytime the Windows Update service is started. I have done all the latest windows update (other than the language packs.)

System Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Service Pack 1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GhZ 2.67GhZ

4.00GB RAM

To free up the RAM and avoid the errors I've just been disabling the Windows Update service except for when I want to specifically use it to run an update, but the main issue I want to free up is the ESENT Event ID 623 Errors in the Administrative Events log of the Event Viewer that have been occuring since November 22, 2011 for me.

• Edited by Kranis Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:59 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Based on my knowledge, wuaueng.dll is a system file for Windows Update. Please try to register the Wuaueng.dll file and check if it works fine.

Also I want to know whether you use WSUS for Windows update?

For further troubleshooting, please also upload the Windows Update log to SkyDrive and post a link here:

http://explore.live.com/skydrive

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:57 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 9:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Based on my knowledge, wuaueng.dll is a system file for Windows Update. Please try to register the Wuaueng.dll file and check if it works fine.

Also I want to know whether you use WSUS for Windows update?

For further troubleshooting, please also upload the Windows Update log to SkyDrive and post a link here:

http://explore.live.com/skydrive

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:57 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 9:33 AM
  • I've been getting a similar error of late, even after I've re-registered wuaueng.dll on all accounts.

Maybe co-incidentally I've been getting CAPI2 event 4107 errors about root certs.

Anyway, here's the actual Windows Update error.

wuaueng.dll (704) SUS20ClientDataStore: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 32Mb. It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back.
        SessionId: 0x00000000014104A0
        Session-context ThreadId: 0x00000000000015B4

Amy further thoughts?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:57 AM
  • i have also been getting these for the last 4 months or so.

wuaueng.dll (1188) SUS20ClientDataStore: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 32Mb. It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back.

SessionId: 0x00000000014B04A0

Session-context ThreadId: 0x0000000000001214

system:

win7 pro 64bit

intel i5 2.4

8GB ram

we do use WSUS, I have just checked and my laptop is 100% up to date?

so doesnt appear this error is effecting updates particularly?

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:50 AM
  • I have a suggestion; check your Task Scheduler, with Hidden Tasks on, to see if any other current updating programs are running for uninstalled or deleted apps. I found that a whole bunch of Google and HP updates were actively trying to update (every hour, failed) while none of these apps were present on my drive(s). This not only corrupted wuaueng.dll but also topped the limit of 4 GB RAM and crashed Vista SP2

Frank

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:46 AM