none
Used subst for local folder, but now Win10 thinks its a CD Drive

Question

• Hello all,

I use Visual Studio at work and many projects are configured to run specifically from build servers, which requires that I run the project from a specific file structure from the D drive.

The long standing way of handling this has been to simply have the project run from your D: hard drive. However in the past few years we have been upgrading to laptops that often have a single drive.

Rather than mess with the partitions on my Dell to get a D: (and assume my size need for it) I created a D: with subst (since there is no CD hardware). 

It worked for over a year until recently. Now the drive is inaccessible and demands I insert a disk.

I'm pretty sure a recent update affected this setup though. Now Windows recognizes D: as a (seemingly authentic) CD Drive, complete with icon and all expected messages (i.e. "Insert a disk into Drive D:")

Using subst to display a list of current virtual drives (as documented in /? ) shows no virtual drives.

Using subst d: /d results in "Invalid parameter - D:"

I've gone into diskpart. At the time I presume I had found the partition since it had no volume (and all the other partitions were legitimate and had their expected unmounted volumes)

I deleted successfully the partition, and it doesn't show up in diskpart any longer.

The erroneous D: still lingers. It is haunting my ability to develop.

I am assuming it would take some specific registry manipulation if not more than that. I am not well versed enough to go into it and there doesn't seem to be any specific instances of this problem that I've been able to find.

Please help, and thank you for reading.

Monday, February 4, 2019 4:16 PM

All replies

• BUMP

Was hoping this would be an easy answer for a Disk or Registry Guru...

lol HELP :)

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:32 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you submit a new case on Visual Studio forum as they will be more professional on your issue: 

This is the Visual Studio forum link.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=visualstudio

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hello.

Look at HKLM\System\mounted devices

This is where the volume identifiers and drive letters are stored in the registry.

Be careful modifying these as not to remove any volumes or drive that are needed for the system

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:45 PM
  • Launch disk management, right click the drive and select "change drive letter".

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:25 PM