none
Switching from "User-Software-Deployment" to "Computer-Software-Deployment"

Question

• We have some software assigned to "users". As it turns out, some machines are beeing used by multiple users, so we want to change the "basic-software" deployments (7zip, notepad++, Adobe, ....) to be "Computer-Software-Assignments" rather than "User-Software-Assignments". 

However changing this seems error prone: 

After the changed policy (User-Software is set to be removed after it is no longer applicable) for notepad++ for example, we see the following going on (after a reboot on any machine): 

- Software is installed as Computer-Policy (good) 
    - Software is removed due to removed User-Policy (somewhat bad) 
    - Software is never reinstalled and now neither available as User- or Computer-Software (bad) 

So, we could ofc, remove the "User-Setups" first, wait 14 days or something, and then re-deploy as Computer-Policy. 
    But I can't tell my Users to live 14 days without Adobe-Acrobat or something...

Andy idea how to "change" the policy from a User-Deployment to a Computer-Deployment without seeing the effect described above? 

(2012 R2 beeing the servers, Clients are 7+)

• Edited by dognose Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• When you remove the software from the user deployment, select the option allow...

The default option removes the package.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:28 PM
  • When you remove the software from the user deployment, select the option allow...

The default option removes the package.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Will try that - as of now there was one GPO per Software-Assignment, so we just deleted the GPO, which then seems to choose the "default" option. 

So rather than deleting the gpo, I'll continue with "removing" the assigned software from each GPO, clicking on "User can continue use the software..." - and finally delete the (empty) GPOs in some weeks or months. 

• Edited by dognose Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:32 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Hi,
    I am checking how the ossie is going. if you have anything clear, please fell free to contact us again.
    Appreciate for your update.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 27, 2016 4:44 AM