none
How do I get DPM back working after trail had expired? RRS feed

• Question

• We were experimenting DPM 2010 and liked it pretty much, however we were sidetracked by other projects and when we finally freed ourselves and came back to DPM, the trial had expired.  Below is what we're getting now:

• When opening DPM console, a message "Verify that the DPM service is running on this computer" is shown. 
    • When manually starting the DPM service, a message "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start" is shown.  Then I checked into dependencies and found out the DPM service depends on two SQL Server services
    • When starting these two services manually, I was guided to event log and read the following details: "The evaluation period for this instance of Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services has expired.  A license is required. "

I know we need to buy DPM licenses and we will (I'm working on it with MS license reseller now), but what would be the steps after we acquire the licenses?  Since I can't launch the DPM Admin console anymore, how do I input the license information?  After the license info is  entered, will the SQL server be licenses together with DPM?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:28 PM

Answers

• HI,

DPM 2010 RTM bits will automatically install a new SQL instance (MSDPM2010) during the upgrade process.  That temporary instance for the eval is just to get you back into a running state so DPM 2010 RTM setup can perform the upgrade.  Once the upgrade is complete, you can safely un-install the the MSDPM2010EVAL instance.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by achen2002 Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:23 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have installed DPM 2010 Eval, the DPM 2010 Eval has expired – and you did NOT uninstall it.

Solution:

a. If you are using a remote SQL, you can simply install DPM 2010 retail bits and perform an upgrade because SQL should not expire on remote install.
    b. If you are using a local SQL instance then:
       i. Make a note of the SQL instance name, then take a backup of the DPMDB or copy DPMDB ldf and mdf files and attach the files after the instance is re-installed in step iii. below.
       ii. uninstall the SQL instance being used by DPM.
       iii. From the DPM installation media run the SQL installer and manually install an evaluation edition of SQL with the same name noted in i. 
       iv. Attach the DB saved in step i. above to this instance .
       v. Now run the DPM 2010 RTM setup to upgrade.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Mike,

Sorry for unproposing your reply from an answer, I just wanted to make sure this case is still open and my follow up will be seen. 

The SQL server was locally on the same server as DPM, and the databse has the instance name "MSDPM2010EVAL",

If I perform all procedures as described in your reply, it appears I have to use the same name. Is there any way I could  preserve the content of database but change the instance name, because we don't like to use a name with "EVAL" in it?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:35 PM
  • HI,

DPM 2010 RTM bits will automatically install a new SQL instance (MSDPM2010) during the upgrade process.  That temporary instance for the eval is just to get you back into a running state so DPM 2010 RTM setup can perform the upgrade.  Once the upgrade is complete, you can safely un-install the the MSDPM2010EVAL instance.

• Marked as answer by achen2002 Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:23 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:13 AM