none
DPM backup with SQL FCI and Availability groups RRS feed

• Question

• Ok im currently using an availability group on top of a SQL failover cluster and im having trouble getting DPM to work this setup.

When i create my protection group i can find my AG wrapper name under the failover cluster instance group but i see this is the windows cluster service but doesnt include any databases below.  The only place i can find the relevant database is looking under the sql cluster instance and the database appears i can tick this and proceed.  The problem comes when im running a consistency check, when this is run it says "DPM failed the current backup because the previously standalone SQL database is now part of a SQL Availability Group."

I think DPM cant handle the availability group on top of the failover cluster instance.

We are currently running SC DPM 2012 SP1.

Anyone come across a resolve to this?

Thanks

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:56 AM

All replies

• Having the same issue.  Did you get it figured out?
    Friday, December 6, 2013 10:30 PM
  • I came across with the same issue when I was working on SQL HA project.

I spoke with local MS representative at the time who noticed me that such SQL HA arcitechture is not supported by DPM at the time. I was notified it could be supported with SC 2012 R2 but apparently it is not.

Let's hope it will be supported in next SC.

Monday, December 9, 2013 8:23 AM
  • DPM will only backup SQL availability group from a secondary synchronous node in the Availability Cluster.  So in order to get this to work you would need to add in a second node in the AG, which somewhat defeats the HA of the failover cluster underneath.
    • Proposed as answer by JamesBX Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:17 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:17 PM
  • JamesBX are you talking about secondary replica with synchronous commit? I have two node FCI which is primary replica in my AG and a secondary stand-alone instance on another node which is secondary replica. 

I have tried with all possibilities, but without success.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:30 PM
  • HI,

The same issue here. And I also can't protect the DB if it has a synchronous secondary replica. We use DPM 2012 R2 Update Rollup 1.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Anyone installed Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager and is it able to protect clustered AG?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2963543

• Edited by dejc Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:00 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:00 AM
  • As of December 31, 2015 this is the current DPM AG support.  (and yes it is supported)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh780998.aspx

Michael Steineke MVP - Clustering

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:39 PM