none
User Environment Error - Stops Logons RRS feed

• Question

•  

Has anyone else seen this problem?  We are a library with multiple log on and log off's per day.  I have seen this problem for a while.  The account that is locked down with steady state is the "all" account. If I'm reading this error correctly Steady Stat is trying to copy a Temp file from all.orig to just plain all.  Please help.  The only way to fix this problem is to reboot the PC with a hard reboot.

This occurs randomly and my guess is that it is a problem with the 255 max character filxe extension.  For some reason it can be copied, but why is it trying to copy it from the all.orig...that account is locked?

Here's what pops up before we have to restart the computers between users:

A "User Environment" box pops up with an "ok" button and a 30-second countdown.  Inside the box it says, "Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded.   Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly.  If this problem persists, contact your network administrator."

When that box times out, another "User Environment" box pops up with this extremely long message: "Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\all.orig\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2RWYTD2V\60371,sports_L;;sz=300x250;ord1=696612;start=-1;fset=0;contx=sports;btg=cm.sportsreg;btg=cm.sports_M;btg=cm[1].sports_L;ord=4122035 to location C:\Documents and Settings\all\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 (at this point it starts over again with all of the above text) then it ends with, "Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights.  If this problem persists, contact your network administrator."  And there's another note at the bottom that says, "DETAIL - File name on extension is too long." 

The hive profile service is installed.

Monday, September 8, 2008 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi, I suggest you first unlock the profile, log on the user and empty temporary internet files. Then, you can use administrator to log on and lock the profile again.

Meanwhile, you can check the solutions in the following threads:

Error: "Windows cannot copy file. The filename or extension is too long."

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2974482&SiteID=17

Profile Can not be loaded

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1933061&SiteID=17

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:25 AM
  • I did what you suggested and emptied the temporary internet files, then locked the profile again.

I also read the post you suggested but was failry unclear of the script that was reccommended.  What does it do?

Here is what I think is happening:

On a pubilc pc with SteadyState 2.5 I have my restrictions set and the profile is locked.  A patron uses the computer for websurfing and then logs off.  That is when we get the "filename or extension is too long..can't be copied"  Because I know the profile the patron was using had no temp interent files I'm assuming this happened during their session.  Some how a website they were at put a temporary file with MORE than 260 characters in the temp files within the local settings folder

1.  How is this possibe? - I thought Windows Was Perfect?

1a.  Why can't I delete this file if it was able to be created...This is a PAIN.

On logoff the profile is supposed to EXCLUDE the local settings folder from being copied back to the .orig file.

2.  This is not happening - for some reason it is trying to copy that long filename and is getting hung up.  Is this a problem with roaming profiles or Steady State?

In the Steady State restriciton there is an option "Do not cache copies of locked or roaming user profiles for users who have previously logged on to this computer

3.  Why doesn't this setting take care of the problem?

I need a slolution to this problem that does not require manual intervention.  Most of the solutions are log on as admin, unlock the account, empty the profile.

Can you explain how to use the script that was mentioned in the thread you suggested I read?  IT was the first one from your previous message.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:59 PM
  •  

Hi, as we do not support custom script development in this forum, you will need to write your own custom script. When you write a custom script, please pay attention to the following:

1. Custom scripts must be written so that they return only after actions in the custom script have been completed.

2. If a custom script update on a Windows SteadyState computer requires any resources during a scheduled update, such as a valid network connection, the resource must be available at the time of the update.

Also, you can refer to the following thread regarding script:

Script with schedule update at certain time and disk protection on and set to remove changes

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1951048&SiteID=17   

Thanks for your understanding.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I totally understand about the custom scripts no problem.  Could you please answer my other questions in my previous post?

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

I don't mean to be pesty but can I get a reply for my questions?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:38 PM
  • I am having the same problem as SCA Admin.  Please help.

Thank you.

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Can you reproduce the problem in a lab environment?  Do you know what websites cause this to happen?

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:58 PM
  • I'm starting a new thread about this with much more detail and hopefully I'll get some kind of response. 

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 3:30 PM