SoftGrid 4.5 - Management Console - error code: 0000C803

Question

• I've have a problem when trying to connect using the SoftGrid management console on a client workstation.

I have tried numerous links (including http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930564) but unfortunatly nothing has fixed the problem.

The setup I have, is two VAS servers, each running:

SoftGrid Virtual Application Server
    SoftGrid Managemnt Console

SoftGrid Management Web Service 

The servers are both running Windows 2003 R2, .Net 2.0, SoftGrid 4.5

The database is on a dedicated SQL server running SQL 2005

The clients, I've tried are both Vista and XP, and each have the same error. I've also have tried connecting using two VAS servers that are running the web service and management console, and on each server, each one can connect to their own web site, but not the other machines site.

The admin group is a global group, not local whic I've read causes problems.

I've set as  the security as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930565

In the SFTMMC.LOG, I'm getting the following error:

ManagementConsole.MCException: Request for principal permission failed. ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Request for principal permission failed.

Server stack trace:
       at System.Security.Permissions.PrincipalPermission.ThrowSecurityException()
       at System.Security.Permissions.PrincipalPermission.Demand()
       at System.Security.PermissionSet.DemandNonCAS()
       at SoftGrid.Management.Authorization.Authorize()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at SoftGrid.Management.IAuthorization.Authorize()
       at ManagementConsole.ManagementSession.connect(String urlPrefix, NetworkCredential cred)
    The action that failed was:
    Demand
    The type of the first permission that failed was:
    System.Security.Permissions.PrincipalPermission
    The first permission that failed was:
    <IPermission class="System.Security.Permissions.PrincipalPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
    version="1">
    <Identity Authenticated="true"
    Role="ADMIN"/>
    </IPermission>

The demand was for:
    <IPermission class="System.Security.Permissions.PrincipalPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
    version="1">
    <Identity Authenticated="true"
    Role="ADMIN"/>
    </IPermission>

The assembly or AppDomain that failed was:
    mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Any help with this will be very much appreciated as I've spent ages trying to get to the bottom of it.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:23 PM

Answers

• You didn't specify, so let's make sure this part is correct.

You are launching the SoftGrid Management Console from a machine other than the one that houses the VAS and Management Server/IIS.  When you do this, you will "Connect to SoftGrid System" and type in the name of the (VAS) machine hosting the Management Service (NOT localhost!).  This name needs to be in a resolvable form that would, for example, allow you to ping that name from the machine you are on. 

The setup of the connection dialog allows you to use either the current windows account, or other specified credentials, for this connection.  In either case, the credentials provided must be resolvable on the Management Server side as being a member of the SoftGrid Administrators group.  The most common issue people have here is that they log into the remote system using a local admin account, and not a domain admin account.

the C803 issue indicates that you did not do the localhost, since you would never connect.  There are other possible causes, but most of these can be eliminated by trying to log into the VAS and connect with the Management Console locally.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

No replies yet.

When you attempt to launch the MMC and it fails, is there an error message that pops up? I had an issue in 4.5 once that popped up a 80x error code and the problem was a port conflict. I ended up disabling a shareware that was occupying port 80.

Oops, I should read the headings first. Now I see error 803. I still think my issue was port 80.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:38 PM
  • You didn't specify, so let's make sure this part is correct.

You are launching the SoftGrid Management Console from a machine other than the one that houses the VAS and Management Server/IIS.  When you do this, you will "Connect to SoftGrid System" and type in the name of the (VAS) machine hosting the Management Service (NOT localhost!).  This name needs to be in a resolvable form that would, for example, allow you to ping that name from the machine you are on. 

The setup of the connection dialog allows you to use either the current windows account, or other specified credentials, for this connection.  In either case, the credentials provided must be resolvable on the Management Server side as being a member of the SoftGrid Administrators group.  The most common issue people have here is that they log into the remote system using a local admin account, and not a domain admin account.

the C803 issue indicates that you did not do the localhost, since you would never connect.  There are other possible causes, but most of these can be eliminated by trying to log into the VAS and connect with the Management Console locally.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Thank you for your response and appologies for my delay!

Yes I am trying to launch the SoftGrid Management console from a machine other than the one that houses the VAS and Management server/IIS.

When connecting I am am specifitying the FQDN of the VAS server (Not LocalHost) eg servername.nottingham.ac.uk,

The login credentials redardless of using the 'Current windows Account' or 'specify Windows Account' (I'm using an account that is a member of the Domain Admins and SoftGrid Administrators group) always get the 0000C803 error.

When connecting locally on the either VAS itself, I don't have a problem, but if I try to connect from server to server, eg from VAS1 to VAS2 then again I get the 803 error.

The main reason that I'm trying to get this working, is to enable our SoftGrid pilot project users to publish applications without the need to log onto the server to do it, but at the moment we can't.

Thanks for any help with this, it's only a minor problem at the moment, but as the project starts to ramp up, then it will become a major issue.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:59 AM
  •  

The Management console is only making simple, port 80 http requests to the IIS server which is your management server.  To troubleshoot, try to http to the VAS and see if you get the correct "under construction" page.

Well, not simple.  It is using .net remoting.  So if the above test fails, you know to look at basic connectivity issues.  If that test succeeds, you debug using IIS logging.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hi has anyone found a solution for this problem?

I am also experiencing smilar problem.

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:09 AM
  • I'm afraid I am still having the same problem, but I'm not putting to much effort into into fixing it now, as I'm waitining for the final release version to come out, which should be in the next month or so, I hope.  

I will update this post as to whether it works or not. 

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

I see I have the exact same problem trying to get the MMC working on a remote connection to the Management Server. I missed your thread so I made a new one  (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3629842&SiteID=17)

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:25 PM